Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AJRobertson
Level 7

Roku Streaming Stick+ does not output bitstream (Dolby/DTS) to sound bar through TV ARC

We own a 5000 series Samsung 4k LED TV connected to a Nakamichi Soundwafe Pro 7.1 (2016) surround soundbar. Things used to be fine with our Roku Streaming Stick+ connected to one of the TV's HDMI ports and sound sent down the ARC channel to the sound bar. We were getting proper Dolby digital and DD+ sound, and full 4k video and HDR. Until recently when audio began sounding wierd with odd clipping and other "bad speaker" sounds through the rear surrounds. Demo test on the sound bar proved the speakers weren't the issue.

I checked TV sound settings, and low and behold, when the source was the port with the roku, while input format was set to bitstream, output was PCM (which this model of sound bar hates as documented by the mfr). This was not the case in the past, and DD & DD+ are grayed out options. Yet switching source to my ps4 instantly gives me back Dolby output from the tv. So, sound bar and tv aren't the issue.

Connecting directly to the sound bar won't work, as the sound bar HDMI inputs are HDMI 1.4 only (so I have my non-hdmi 2.x sources connected there, and HDMI 2.x sources connected to the TV and use ARC to the sound bar).

This is clearly either a hardware failure on the Roku (unlikely) or firmeare has broken the audio interface between samsung and the roku. I'm resorting to watching our streaming content through the smart tv apps instead of the Roku (major pain in the rear), but I can't get 4k content with the surround audio otherwise (my ps4 can do hdr but not 4k, as it's from the original launch, not a Pro model) until and unless Roku fixes this bug.

I repeat: this hasn't been an issue in the past. But PCM only output during playback from the Roku regardless of what I set the Roku audio settings to is not acceptable. We have this Roku expressly for the 4k & surround sound.

3 REPLIES 3\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: Roku Streaming Stick+ does not output bitstream (Dolby/DTS) to sound bar through TV ARC

1)  What is your RokuOS version? Settings/System About/Software version = ?  (latest is 9.3.0-4194)

2) What are your audio settings? Settings/Audio/Audio Mode = ?  (should be "auto (etc etc)") and Settings/Audio/HDMI= ?   (should be "auto detect")

3)  Has your Samsung 5000 TV's firmware updated recently?

4)  Has your Nakamichi's firmware updated recently?

5)  Have you tried powering down the everything for at least 5-10 minutes, and turning it all back on, soundbar before TV preferably, then other devices (such as PS4/Roku/etc)?

0 Kudos
Joecascio2000
Level 8

Re: Roku Streaming Stick+ does not output bitstream (Dolby/DTS) to sound bar through TV ARC

I'm having the same issue. Ruko Streaming Stick+ no bitstream option.

0 Kudos
Joecascio2000
Level 8

I found a solution that fixed this for me. I posted details in a different thread, but you can find the post below.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Roku-Stick-not-sending-Dolby-Digital...

0 Kudos