Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sethgraham

Roku Streaming Stick + contrast and color issues?

I have a Roku that on occasion gets really high contrast. The shoes are overly blown out. Colors are off. The usual purple theme looks blue and the dancing Roku logo in the beginning looks bad too. I have tried factory reset, unplugging the Roku from the TV’s USB, wall outlet, HDMI port and tried different HDMI ports as well. The TV itself has no issue. The colors on the antenna TV look great.
18 REPLIES 18
kgonz2408

Re: Roku Streaming Stick + contrast and color issues?

I have just started to experience the same issue with my own Roku Streaming Stick+. Performing a factory reset largely resolved the problem, but occasionally, it recurs, though eventually, the color normalizes again. My TV is fine, too; the colors using the apps on my Smart TV are normal.

0 Kudos
DougSleeter
Channel Surfer

Same issue. Roku stick, 2 months old (March 2020). Keeps over heating, and the colors are overly hot in the reds. Tried resetting picture settings on Samsung TV, but it keeps recurring.

0 Kudos
Vanessa84

I've had my Roku Streaming Stick+ for about a year with the extender hdmi cable and it always overheats. The extender never resolved the issue. A few months back it started freezing up and this week the colors are all highly contrasted. First my screen had crazy lines, like a messed up computer screen. I restarted the whole thing and then the color issues started happening a couple days later. The starting screen is fuzzy and blue, not purple. The home screen is a crazy dark blue color and the picture quality on movies is so bad and highly contrasted. I've unplugged it, restarted, reset internet, and finally did a factory reset. The issue is not resolved. My picture looks fine when I use the TVs built in smart hub so it's not my tv. I currently have it all unplugged to cool down. Hopefully this resolves my issue. If not then I'm at a loss. 

DougSleeter
Channel Surfer

Thanks for posting that detail Vanessa. I am having exactly the same issues. Ordered the HDMI extender, but it hasn't arrived yet. I doubt that will fix it because this seems like a more fundamental problem.  I hope someone from Roku will enlighten us on what to do.

0 Kudos
Raylgood

This is now happening to me with my Roku stick. Too much contrast and reds are overdone. A couple weeks before this happened I was getting the overheating message so Roku sent me an extender. However I couldn’t get a picture from the Roku with it connected. I swapped the extender with one that came with my Chromecast and that one worked. Oddly the extender that Roku sent work on the Chromecast but it is the a first generation that does 1080p max. Seems like the Roku extender can’t handle 4k.

FinFort

Is there any ROKU support agent available for this issue ? This is happening for me very frequently. Color changes /contrast is too high that I can not see the pics. I see more than 5 people shared the same problem. Is that not enough for Roku to investigate this ? 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@FinFort

Thanks for the post.

Can you provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What specific Roku model device are you using? Have you tried using the HDMI extender as well as using another HDMI port to see if that resolves the issue you are experiencing? In addition, can you provide a screenshot/image of the issue you are seeing?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RaJean
Reel Rookie

Danny, 

I too am having color saturation issues. I am using Roku Ultra Model 4670X.  I have tried another HDMI port, but this didn't help.

I do have a couple of photos, but am unsure how to attach them here. 

Please advise.

R. Johnson

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@RaJean

Thanks for the post.

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried switching out the HDMI cable used to connect your device as well as connecting your Roku device to another TV to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please feel free to upload an image of the issue you are seeing. There is a photo button above the text field when responding to a post that you can use to upload a photo.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos