Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keithx13
Level 8

Roku Streaming Stick+ black screen without sound a few minutes after power on

After the latest software update, all 3 of my Streaming Stick+ devices now have an issue about 10 minutes after they are powered on.  The screen will go black, there is no sound output, and when the program returns it will have advanced the amount of time that the screen is black (meaning that it isn't paused, but just not outputting to the tv).  The black screen only lasts for a second or two, but it happens every time I power up one of the devices, and it happens regardless of what app I happen to be watching (Netflix, HBO Max, FAI, etc.).  I have 2 Samsung and 1 LG tv so we can rule out a software change from the tv manufacturers.  I had never experienced this phenomenon before the latest software update, so Occam's razor points to the software as the problem.  My current work around is to rewind the program once it reappears.  I'm curious as to whether or not others have this issue, and whether or not Roku is aware of it.

8 REPLIES 8\
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Streaming Stick+ black screen without sound a few minutes after power on

Hey @keithx13

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Could you tell us how your Roku Streaming Stick+ is powered? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Please keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
keithx13
Level 8

Re: Roku Streaming Stick+ black screen without sound a few minutes after power on

Kariza, the devices are all connected via USB ports in the back of the televisions as they have been since I bought them.  Two of them were purchased in 2017, and the newest in 2019.  Note that none of them exhibited the problem before the latest software release.  A suggestion to needlessly waste electricity by keeping them powered up 24-7 is not appropriate.  The fact that they work for approximately 10 minutes before the black screen is undeniable proof that the devices are getting sufficient power.  The problem originated with the latest software release.  Please accept this customer feedback and forward it to the programmers.  Thanks

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

If you're not willing to try the supplied power adapter just for troubleshooting then don't bother asking for help here.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
keithx13
Level 8

renojim, I have 10 years total experience between the 3 devices and never one issue until the latest software update, but now all three have an identical hardware problem?  Three tvs all drop power to the USB port at roughly the same time when none did before?  You honestly believe that?

Of course, if I plug them in and keep them powered on 24-7 then they will only glitch once at about the 10 minute mark, but that really doesn't address the software problem.  I considered doing it, but wanted to see (1) if Roku is aware of the issue, and (2) if anyone else has experienced it.  Plugging them in 24-7 is a workaround, sure, but not a software solution.

Can I go back to the previous software version?  Undo the update, if you will?  The 3 Stick+ all worked great with that version.

RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Thanks for following up, @keithx13

I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for. Can you please provide us the following information for further investigation:

-Roku device model
-Serial number
-Device ID
-Software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
keithx13
Level 8

Thank you, Kariza. Very much appreciated.

I will send the information if I capture a Tracker ID.  Earlier today I noticed that a software update (from .4195 to .4198) was available and loaded it on all three devices.  It is possible that this already solved the blank screen issue.  Again, thank you very much.

0 Kudos
keithx13
Level 8

I sent the information captured after the issue surfaced to Kariza via email on June 14th since some of it was personal.  If there is anyone tracking this issue, the issue ID is 37-234-686.

keithx13
Level 8

It has been well over a month since the issue ID was sent to Kariza and I have not heard anything in return.  Here are two more issue IDs that have captured since then (more were not captured):

37-285-975

37-286-474

Should I be working with Roku product support instead of posting in this forum?

0 Kudos