Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fluffuser
Level 7

Roku Streaming Plus (3810EU) Poor HDR/rec2020 Performance

I am getting very frustrated with the Roku Streaming Plus, had it since November.

1. Amazon lack of HDR - Looks like it has been resolved in US but no news on a fix for UK/EU

2. I noticed the Netflix app now leaves bt2020 colour on (does not return to rec709 colour) at the Netflix menu and for SDR, meaning the menus and non-HDR series all have washed out colours.

3. The auto-preview ads in Netflix bug me terribly. Doesnt appear to allow these to be turned off

4. Very few and irregular responses on this forum from Roku themselves.

The only thing going well at the moment is the 24fps auto-rate matching support and how streams very quickly get to 4K Ultra quality.

I would love some support from Roku, but I suspect an Nvidia Shield or Apple TV 4K might be the only predictable way to resolve these issues.

Your thoughts appreciated.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku Streaming Plus (3810EU) Poor HDR/rec2020 Performance

1. It's an Amazon issue, not Roku. Yes, they seem to have fixed the issue in the US (just last week), so hopefully they'll apply the fix to other regions.

2. Netflix issue. Seen others post the same thing. You might try disabling auto-framerate if you have that on.

3. Netflix issue, and they don't seem to care that so many people hate it. Nope, can't turn it off.

4. The forum is mostly users helping users. Yes, Roku monitors the forum and occasionally offers help. But the developers themselves rarely appear here.

I read forums on the Shield, and they have their own set of issues, some even mirroring issues with Roku. I don't follow any ATV forums, but I've heard of problems there as well. There is no perfect streaming player. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
fluffuser
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:

2. Netflix issue. Seen others post the same thing. You might try disabling auto-framerate if you have that on. 

I did try disablingaoto-framerate, changing display from auto to 4K HDR 60, tried 4:2:2 chroma and restarting between each change. No imorovement.

I did think this was a Roku support forum, just not a good one. Happy to be proven wrong.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"fluffuser" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

I did try disablingaoto-framerate, changing display from auto to 4K HDR 60, tried 4:2:2 chroma and restarting between each change.  No imorovement.

I did think this was a Roku support forum, just not a good one.  Happy to be proven wrong.

Yeah, I thought it would be worth a shot. There are a number of us that assist as best we can. But there's questions that can only be answered by Roku staff. While there are a couple that really try to help here (Shawn and Dale), they also have their hands tied by Roku in what they're permitted to say here. I can tell they are sometimes frustrated in not being permitted to tell us more than they do.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
fluffuser
Level 7

Can I have a response from Roku on this please.
0 Kudos
fluffuser
Level 7

Can I have a response from Roku on this please.
0 Kudos
fluffuser
Level 7

Having received no response whatsoever from Roku on these issues, I have purchased an Apple TV 4K. This operates HDR and rate matching correctly for Amazon and Netflix apps.
0 Kudos
Eddy555
Level 7

I've discussed the lack of Amazon HDR with Roku support on Twitter this week, and it seems Amazon still haven't enabled HDR for the Roku channel in the UK.

No idea when Amazon will get around to sorting this, but I've had very little luck getting any useful information from Amazon.
0 Kudos
fluffuser
Level 7

I gave up and bought an Apple TV 4K, seems they dont suffer from this issue.
0 Kudos