Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tightwoods
Level 8

Roku Stopped Working

Jump to solution
My Roku Premiere+ has been working fine for over 2 years with the same TV system. There are no other TVs or Rokus. It worked fine on the evening of 09/02/2019. On the evening of 09/03/2019 there was nothing but a black TV screen showing "HDMI 1, Cable Box". No Screensaver, no Home screen. Here's what additional info I can provide:

1. TV - Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Sound bar - Sony SS-MCT100
2. Roku box - #7AK681577608 model 4630X, Remote model RC-GR3
3. New remote batteries
4. Unplugged/re-connected box power/HDMI/ethernet cables
5. Re-paired remote to box
6. Pressing Home button turns on white LED on box
7. Pressing any other remote button causes white LED to dim and flash rapidly
8. Ethernet connection, not wireless
9. Computer internet works fine
10. Unplugged/reset all routers
11. TV works fine receiving programs over-the-air via outdoor antenna

Could the Roku box have just "died" and I need to buy a new one? Any suggestions? Thank you.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tightwoods
Level 8

Re: Roku Stopped Working

Jump to solution

A new high quality (a bit pricey) splitter from Crutchfield solved the problem. Many thanks to all who responded.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Jump to solution
When you first power up the Roku, do you get the dancing letters on the screen with the boot sound? If not, then it does sound like it's toast. If you do see the boot screen, then I'd next try it on a different TV, perhaps with a different HDMI cable. If it's non-functional on a 2nd TV, that pretty much eliminates anything other than the Roku itself. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
tightwoods
Level 8

Jump to solution
No dancing letters, just a black, blank screen. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Jump to solution
"tightwoods" wrote:
No dancing letters, just a black, blank screen. Thanks.

I may have missed it, but I don’t see that you tried a different HDMI port on that TV.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
tightwoods
Level 8

Jump to solution
I think I figured it out. My system uses a 1 to 2 HDMI splitter. It's making a steady buzzing noise - used to be quiet. I connected the Roku directly to a different, stand alone TV. It works fine. A new splitter is on the way and should solve the problem. Thanks.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Jump to solution
Ah, very important bit of information missing. Glad you identified it. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
tightwoods
Level 8

Jump to solution

A new high quality (a bit pricey) splitter from Crutchfield solved the problem. Many thanks to all who responded.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos