Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tiberius13
Level 7

Roku Stick+ not powering on TV "MOST" of the time

As the topic says - my new Roku Stick+ stick is not powering on my TV "most" of the time (1 in 5/10 power button presses works).  Everything else seems to work fine - including turning off the TV through the Roku remote.

The TV is a Toshiba 40E200U1 (a bit on the old side, but that is why a Roku Stick is a great solution for it).

It would make more sense to me if the Roku remote "never" turned the TV on, but the fact that it does if you just press the remote button enough times seems strange.  As I understand it, the remote is WIFI & IR?  If so, I assume the remote is sending an IR signal to turn ON the tv?  If so, that should work fine - and it makes me wonder if the remote I have is somehow defective and not sending a strong/consistent signal.  However, the fact it work perfectly to turn the TV off... that would imply it is using WIFI to turn the TV and not IR?  Or perhaps the issue is the other way around and IR is not being used at all, and the issue is that the Roku device is sending on/off signals through the HDMI cable and that is what isn't working reliably to turn the TV on?  

Without knowing how the Roku is sending these on/off signals it is hard to logic this out - any help is appreciated.  My next step will be to try a different TV code selection during the initial setup process.  However, the fact that the TV does sometime go on makes me feel that isn't the issue?

EDIT:  Ok - After some additional experimentation, I have discovered that the remote will turn on the TV if I aim at least 45 degrees AWAY from the TV.  Aim AT the TV... doesn't work... aim 45 degrees to either side... it works...  There is something weird with that behaviour.

The Roku Stick+ is plugged into the back of the TV - would getting the HDMI extender and having it further from the TV make a difference and possibly resolve this??

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Stick+ not powering on TV "MOST" of the time

The tv controls on your Roku stick remote work are IR signals. Perhaps the IR emitter behind the plastic end of the remote is misaligned and sending the signals off at an angle, or are too strong and overwhelming the tv unless not aimed directly at it.

An HDMI extender shouldn't affect the IR tv control signals from your remote one way or the other.
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600
0 Kudos
Tiberius13
Level 7

Thanks for the confirmation that it is sending IR signals.  Do you happen to know if it would be an IR signal for turning the TV off also?  In that case, it is working flawlessly - so that would be strange... to have this only be a "turning the TV on" issue.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

All the tv control signals are IR -- volume up/down, mute, and power. 

Far as I know the power signal is a single signal, not separate power on and power off signals.  It is the tv that interprets that signal as an on/off toggle.  So if there's some difference in response between off and on I suspect it must be in the tv.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600
0 Kudos