Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KatSRQ
Channel Surfer

Roku Stick is overheating

Jump to solution

I replaced a Roku stick with a Roku streambar, then moved the stick to a different TV in another room. Today, while watching TV in that room, a message came on the screen that the stick was overheating. It was extremely hot to the touch. I was not having that problem on the other TV. This TV is sitting in the open on top of a chest of drawers.

After researching in Roku Support, I pulled the stick from the HDMI port, unplugged it from the power and let it cool off. Then I turned it back on and checked the network signal, and it said it was excellent. It overheated again. So I attempted to order a free extender as advised on this site, but that doesn't seem to be working. I get an error that says "We're sorry. We are unable to process your order at the moment. Please try again." Tried three different times during the day.

I think the extender might help. On this TV, the stick is parallel (not perpendicular) to the back of the TV and there is very little space between it and the TV (unlike the previous TV location). If I can't order an extender, then I am at a loss on what to do.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Stick free extender I have tried over and over again the Serial number says it’s incorrect

Jump to solution

Hi @minnie19944,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Note: Never post any personally identifiable, private, or sensitive information publicly, including passwords, email addresses, or payment information. Community content is visible to all Community members.

To claim the free HDMI, please ensure that your Roku device is a Roku Streaming Stick. In addition, the HDMI claim portal only accepts the serial number, not the device ID. Please use the serial number in your Roku device by going to Settings > System > About. Make sure to use the number "zero" instead of the letter "O" when inputting your serial number into the form.

Keep us posted and we'll continue assisting from there if needed.

Best regards,
Mary

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Iona-D
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Stick is overheating

Jump to solution

You are on the right track as far as dealing with the overheating issue at hand.  Since it worked fine with your other set, I will assume that the unit itself is fine.  It might need some more air circulation around the unit itself.  That is why everyone should place their electronic devices that are designed to be  permanently resting on a surface be placed on a very hard flat one to allow it to "breathe" properly as these particular ones were designed for at all times.  Or the dangle-y sticks and the like "float" somewhat away from another heat source (the television itself).

This is what I would do:

Use a longer HMDI Extender to move it away from the television itself and/or use a tiny fan (like the ones for computers or personal use) aimed directly at the stick.  Right now I am using a fan just to cool down my modem/router combo unit (shown below) during this very hot time of the year.

Good Luck!  Hope these ideas help.Fan In Use.jpg

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@KatSRQ

Thanks for the post.

If you are still having issue requesting a HDMI extender, can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KatSRQ
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks, Danny. I tried again this morning and still received the error. My SN is CT38A9634805. I appreciate whatever you can do to help me.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @KatSRQ,

Thanks for keeping in touch and providing the additional information.

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you through email.

We appreciate your patience in the meantime.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
KatSRQ
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Mary, thanks for passing this on to support. However, the link you sent me was for setting up a Roku TV. I have a Roku Stick.

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

"Free" is not necessary the best way to go all of the time.  For my own HMDI extenders (male to female), I wanted to choose the length that I felt would not only address air circulation, but improve WiFi connection/reception for my own stick as sometimes the television overpowered the stick's ability to receive the WiFi signal.  Plus allowing more cooling too.

The free HMDI extender I received from Roku worked for a short time,. Then it suddenly failed to operate and stopped functioning completely.  The one (see below) I bought and still use from Amazon still works well in every way.

This is the one I use now at present.  No, it is not "free," but still works the best in both ways covered above.  You can choose the best length for your situation.  The super long 10 foot one was the one for the job in my case.  I like the various cable other lengths being offered.  And the purchase price reflects the cheaper options available to buy-being cheaper simply  depended on their shorter lengths.  Plus I did not waste my valuable time from enjoying my Roku devices by waiting around for others to get around to me eventually (not right away in a reasonable amount of time) just for "free" accessories-plus way quicker to come to my doorstep..   Plus I have just the right length I need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GBBSZFE/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1z...

0 Kudos
KatSRQ
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for your suggestion. I will keep that in mind if the extender I receive doesn't resolve the problem.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You could also just plug a regular male-to-male HDMI cord you might already have at hand into the tv, and use a female-to-female HDMI adapter to connect your Streaming Stick to the end of the cable.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
KatSRQ
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion. If the extender doesn't resolve my problem, I will consider this option.

0 Kudos