Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gandalf1369
Level 8

Roku Stick+ and HDCP Error

Got the new Roku Streaming Stick+ a couple of weeks ago and find it to be an extremely capable device with one exception . . . 

Occasionally, I will start to watch a channel and I will get the dreaded purple HDCP error screen.  When this happens it effects ALL the channels that I have installed on the Roku and the only way to fix it is to restart the Roku either by using the restart device option in the Settings menu or by powering off/on he stick.  This doesn't happen too often - about 2-3 times a week but it is getting annoying.

The Stick+ is plugged directly into an HDMI port and is powered through the wall wart USB power adapter.  The Stick+ is running the latest firmware available from Roku.  The TV is a Sony Bravia XBR65-900E model that was purchased in December of last year.

Almost all of the posts I've read on this forum concerning the HDCP purple error screen seem to involve the signal going thru an HDMI cable to an AVR.  In my case the Stick+ is plugged directly into the TV - no cables or AVR involved.

My questions would be: is this simply a firmware issue that hopefully will be addressed by Roku in a future update or is the Stick+ defective in which case I will return it.  Any thoughts and insights are vey much appreciated . . . Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndyCalling
Level 8

Re: Roku Stick+ and HDCP Error

OK, so I have an older Samsung TV but I have the SS+ and I don't get this issue. Even when using an HDMI hub and cables. So, first I would check for a firmware update for your TV and try a different HDMI port on the TV. If this doesn't help, you could try the stick on another TV. If it still fails there, return it. This could be a poor connection between the TV and the stick, but that could be either the port or the plug at fault or that port and plug make poor contact through bad luck.
0 Kudos
dhays0419
Level 7

I have a brand new Sony Bravia 60" TV and I've gotten the dreaded purple HDCP error with both the brand new Roku Stick plugged directly into HDMI port, AND the UHD Media Player with several different HDMI cables. There is no rhyme or reason to why this happens...it's incredibly frustrating and unless Roku fixes this I'm going to return my Roku Stick and buy a competitive product.
0 Kudos
gandalf1369
Level 8

@AndyCalling . . . Thanks for the reply and suggestion.  The TV has the latest firmware as does the Roku Stick+.  Also, I tried a different HDMI port and it still happens.  Again, it's not happening everyday but just enough to really be annoying.  Based on what dhays0419 posted it apparently is a problem with either the hardware or firmware on the Roku.  Hopefully they will offer some resolution in the near future.
0 Kudos