Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madmortar
Level 8

Roku Stick+ / ARC / Soundbar issues

Hello All,

I have been running the same set up for about a year without any issues.
Samsung LED TV (UN60F6300) -> HDMI ARC out -> LG sound bar (SJ4Y-S)
Basically anything I plug into my TV, sound gets routed out via ARC into the sound bar, for example a blueray player or my PS4 plugged directly via HDMI into my TV, the sound comes out of the sound bar. It works great and makes things easy. 

I just picked up my wife a Roku - Streaming Stick+ (3810R) for mothers day. 
I went ahead and plugged it into a free HDMI port in the back, powered it via the wall. It worked great and like the PS4, it too would route the sound into my sound bar.

The issue is when we wake up in the morning, the soundbar is disconnected. Instead, all sound is now coming from the TV and if I go and try to re-connect everything through my menu options on the Samsung TV, it wont link up. It doesnt even recognize the soundbar? It seems like the Roku stick is making interfering somehow? I unplugged all the HDMIs from the TV and unhooked power from everything for 30 seconds. Once i turned everything back on, I can go into the menu and link my TV via HDMI ARC to the sound bar and everything works again. I plug in the Roku and that works as well. I turned everything off....back on....off....and back on and everything works perfect. The roku/tv/soundbar all turn on and off together and work. HOWEVER....went to bed and woke up this morning, turned on the tv and yet again the soundbar has been disconnected and all sound is coming out of the TV speakers. It wont let me reconnect without going through the same exercise as above.

Not sure what is going on? Can anyone help? Thinking maybe the Roku goes into a "sleep mode" after a while and thats when things get weird?

Thanks
0 Kudos
10 Replies
madmortar
Level 8

Re: Roku Stick+ / ARC / Soundbar issues

bump...
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Shooting in the dark here, but have you looked at disabling all screensavers and check the other settings that might be related?

One other thing... You only mention overnight. Is it being used throughout the day? If it’s idle during the day for the same time period as overnight, try forcing an update manually and see if the causes the issue to appear.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
madmortar
Level 8

"Basil" wrote:
Shooting in the dark here, but have you looked at disabling all screensavers and check the other settings that might be related?

One other thing... You only mention overnight. Is it being used throughout the day? If it’s idle during the day for the same time period as overnight, try forcing an update manually and see if the causes the issue to appear.

Thanks for the reply!
How do you force an update?
Tomorrow morning, ill link everything back up and ask my wife to keep a watch throughout the day as to when and if it disconnects. 
Should I wait for ROKU support to chime in on here? Or give them a ring?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"madmortar" wrote:
"Basil" wrote:

Thanks for the reply!
How do you force an update?
Tomorrow morning, ill link everything back up and ask my wife to keep a watch throughout the day as to when and if it disconnects. 
Should I wait for ROKU support to chime in on here? Or give them a ring?

I’m away from my Roku for a couple of days, so I can’t see the exact menu item. But look under settings. Explore the menu. There’s an option for Update.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
Lgb0250
Level 7

Also check your Samsung and see if you’ve received any software updates lately. I received one a few months ago on mine that basically fried my Vizio sound bar. The vizio continues to work on other TVs via ARC. Just not that particular one. Even had Samsung roll a truck and they couldn’t figure out what happened and kept blaming the sound bar instead of the tv, even when I showed them it worked perfect on other TVs!

I ended up buying a Samsung sound bar and now everything works perfect again.
0 Kudos
madmortar
Level 8

So a few things...
Tried to update software for tv and Roku, both are up to date.
Also, I disconnected everything and repaired it Saturday morning. About two hours later I turned on the TV and it wasnt link anymore. So something must happen when roku is turned off for a long period of time causing it to disconnect?

I called Roku, after a very difficult hour conversation....i THINK they understand my issue...but who really knows.
They are looking into it and should get back to me...
Sigh.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Have you tried disabling screensavers, as suggested? Settings > Screensaver > Wait time > Disable screensaver

Note that Roku doesn't actually turn off, but goes into a sleep mode.

One other thing: have you taken the Roku out of the mix entirely and confirmed that everything works fine? Not asking if it used to before you got the Roku, but asking if it works fine now? After overnight, does the system work as expected in the morning?

Another troubleshooting test would be to determine if it misbehaves with Roku connected, but not as the "active" input for your TV?
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
madmortar
Level 8

"Basil" wrote:
Have you tried disabling screensavers, as suggested? Settings > Screensaver > Wait time > Disable screensaver

Note that Roku doesn't actually turn off, but goes into a sleep mode.

One other thing: have you taken the Roku out of the mix entirely and confirmed that everything works fine? Not asking if it used to before you got the Roku, but asking if it works fine now? After overnight, does the system work as expected in the morning?

Another troubleshooting test would be to determine if it misbehaves with Roku connected, but not as the "active" input for your TV?

Great suggestions.
Ill give it a shot tonight when I get home from work.
Thanks
0 Kudos
madmortar
Level 8

Update.

Disabled screensaver.
Disconnected power from wall for 30 secs. Turned everything back on. Soundbar linked up with tv/roku/etc. 
Watched a movie. Turned the source from Roku's HDMI to cable. Everything still working fine.
Turned off TV with it still on cable's input.

Woke up. Soundbar no longer connected. 

Im at a loss
0 Kudos