bojanglingus
Reel Rookie

Roku Soundbar - No Sound from TV

I have a Roku Soundbar and when I power the device on a watch Roku channels I have no issues.  However, when I switch inputs to watch cable TV I lose audio.  I can usually flip inputs back and forth a few times to get the audio working.  I have the Soundbar connected via HDMI ARC.  Any ideas?  Of I can't resolve, I am going to return the Soundbar.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
thalloran

Re: Roku Soundbar - No Sound from TV

I just got my soundbar and I have almost the same issue. My TV does not have ARC, but I have the optic cable connected. Sound works when I'm streaming through Roku but not if I'm watching my regular feed. I see you've had no response for three weeks. That doesn't bode well. 

0 Kudos
bojanglingus
Reel Rookie

Yeah, unfortunately these products seem to get little to no technical support from the company and I still don't have a solution.

0 Kudos
pskurman

I have the same issue. Did you resolve it?

0 Kudos
bojanglingus
Reel Rookie

Sorry, I did not.

0 Kudos

I have the same issue. My 2013 Sony Tv does not have an ARC HDMI output. The only sound of my cable box I get is from the TV speakers. I get great sound from the apps on the Streambar but the Roku doesn't switch to the digital optical output on the Sony.

Roku has lousy tech support. A company can't rely on a "community" to provide tech support, especially for brand new owners of expensive devices.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Those who have to rely on the optical cable, buy a better one from Amazon, do not use the one included with the soundbar. It's terrible cable, you can't make out the shape of the end to seat it right, and it doesn't stay seated.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ES601

I also have this problem, an older tv, and use optical cables. When I switch over to antenna, the tv starts out with audio for about 3 seconds but somehow the soundbar takes over and won’t let the tv audio play. Result- no sound when I switch to OTA antenna. I need a fix for this!

0 Kudos
gwiley56

I have the same issue.  I have Roku soundbar, sound worked great on Samsung TV in USA on regular TV and Roku apps.  Took the same soundbar to UK, hooked up to similar Samsung TV, and no sound on watching normal TV, but works on Roku apps.  I have to switch the sound to TV speakers every time to watch normal TV.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@gwiley56

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, when you hooked up Roku Soundbar to another TV, did you make sure to set it up again or did you just connect it to the TV? In addition, how are you connecting the Roku Soundbar to the TV? Are you using HDMI ARC or HDMI and an optical cable?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos