Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwlloyd810
Level 7

Re: Roku Sound Volume Low

"atc98092" wrote:
You are aware that you are responding to a thread almost 6 years old? More than likely your issue is something different/new. 

It's an old problem that clearly (from responses) was never resolved. I continue to put up with poor quality sound on movies because you are only sending background audio channels to my amplifier. when I play movies encoded for surround sound. If I turn it up enough to hear dialog, background sounds intended for the rear speakers make the room shake when a motor cycle drives away on the screen.

It appears your system correctly recognizes I am using  Dolby (2.1) but isn't sending blending front and back channels correctly. Even just a 2-channel stereo feed would be better. It also doesn't send appropriate sounds to the woofer. It acts like I would expect a Dolby 5.1 to sound if only the back channels were sent to the speakers, and the woofer channel was turned way down. If you are sending the front channels to the woofer, it's not making those channels audible.

Movies played through the same sound equipment from a DVD sound great. The problem is with Roku's handling of Dolby audio.
0 Kudos
dwlloyd810
Level 7

Both my computer and my Roku are connected to HDMI ports of my television which has a Dolby 2.1 (Stereo plus woofer for sound effects). I regularly find that made-for-television content plays well through the computer or through the Roku, as do pre-1977 movies that do not have Dolby Surround Sound. However, Movies with Dolby sound play well on my computer whether they are streamed from CBS All Access on my computer, or played on a DVD. However, with the sound set up the same, and the input stream the same, the Roku plays what sounds like the rear-channel track of Dolby 5.1 on the stereo speakers, and unidentified sounds that are too muffled to identify and too quiet to hear are played through the woofer. In my opinion, it is sending the front channel sounds from Dolby 5.1 to the woofer, which cannot play those sounds. I never hear the deep sound effects I hear through the same equipment if I play the same movie from the computer. Turning up the rear channels until you can hear dialogue delivers poor dialogue and explosively loud sound effects. Even the sound of wind can drown out dialog! 

I believe I am describing a long-standing bug that Dolby's engineers have never addressed, but which affects some of the most commonly used inexpensive home theater sound systems.

Please purchase a set of computer speakers that come with a woofer, and are labeled "Dolby 2.1" and plug them into the analog output of an HDMI television. Then, stream a movie (most regular television shows don't have this problem) from CBS All-Access from a Windows 10 computer that uses the HDMI television as its monitor and sound system. The movie will sound great, with deep booming sound effects, and full stereo, but with a dept that indicates the woofer is also being used to create a 5.1 illusion of front-to-back movement of sounds.

Then try to stream the same movie from the same streaming source using the same HDMI television, but with a Roku playing the stream. You will find the need to turn the volume way up to hear any dialogue, will have to mute it if any motorcycles or trucks drive by in the background, and during such sounds, any voices will be so muted you will have to enable the closed captioning to keep up with the dialog. The Woofers will appear to be doing something, but you won't hear any sound-effects through them.
0 Kudos
ronpar65
Level 7

"dwlloyd810" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
You are aware that you are responding to a thread almost 6 years old? More than likely your issue is something different/new. 

It's an old problem that clearly (from responses) was never resolved. I continue to put up with poor quality sound on movies because you are only sending background audio channels to my amplifier. when I play movies encoded for surround sound. If I turn it up enough to hear dialog, background sounds intended for the rear speakers make the room shake when a motor cycle drives away on the screen.

It appears your system correctly recognizes I am using  Dolby (2.1) but isn't sending blending front and back channels correctly. Even just a 2-channel stereo feed would be better. It also doesn't send appropriate sounds to the woofer. It acts like I would expect a Dolby 5.1 to sound if only the back channels were sent to the speakers, and the woofer channel was turned way down. If you are sending the front channels to the woofer, it's not making those channels audible.

Movies played through the same sound equipment from a DVD sound great. The problem is with Roku's handling of Dolby

"dwlloyd810" wrote:
Both my computer and my Roku are connected to HDMI ports of my television which has a Dolby 2.1 (Stereo plus woofer for sound effects). I regularly find that made-for-television content plays well through the computer or through the Roku, as do pre-1977 movies that do not have Dolby Surround Sound. However, Movies with Dolby sound play well on my computer whether they are streamed from CBS All Access on my computer, or played on a DVD. However, with the sound set up the same, and the input stream the same, the Roku plays what sounds like the rear-channel track of Dolby 5.1 on the stereo speakers, and unidentified sounds that are too muffled to identify and too quiet to hear are played through the woofer. In my opinion, it is sending the front channel sounds from Dolby 5.1 to the woofer, which cannot play those sounds. I never hear the deep sound effects I hear through the same equipment if I play the same movie from the computer. Turning up the rear channels until you can hear dialogue delivers poor dialogue and explosively loud sound effects. Even the sound of wind can drown out dialog!

I believe I am describing a long-standing bug that Dolby's engineers have never addressed, but which affects some of the most commonly used inexpensive home theater sound systems.

Please purchase a set of computer speakers that come with a woofer, and are labeled "Dolby 2.1" and plug them into the analog output of an HDMI television. Then, stream a movie (most regular television shows don't have this problem) from CBS All-Access from a Windows 10 computer that uses the HDMI television as its monitor and sound system. The movie will sound great, with deep booming sound effects, and full stereo, but with a dept that indicates the woofer is also being used to create a 5.1 illusion of front-to-back movement of sounds.

Then try to stream the same movie from the same streaming source using the same HDMI television, but with a Roku playing the stream. You will find the need to turn the volume way up to hear any dialogue, will have to mute it if any motorcycles or trucks drive by in the background, and during such sounds, any voices will be so muted you will have to enable the closed captioning to keep up with the dialog. The Woofers will appear to be doing something, but you won't hear any sound-effects through them.

Ronpar65:
The problem is HDMI port/using HDMI cables on ROKU! I had the same problem when I used HDMI cable, I switched it to RCA cables, Red, white,yellow for audio/video, and audio sounds great! Now the problem most will have Using their ROKU is that The newer ROKU'S does not have RCA jacks. An they say newer is better? Those without the RCA jacks With little to no sound,  is singing a different toon. I hope this helps some.? Regards! RONPAR!
0 Kudos