Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMarkn
Level 7

Re: Roku Sound Volume Low

What you're describing has to be an issue in the encoding. There's no way that the Roku could change the volume of dialog without affecting background noise or vice versa in content with stereo (as opposed to 5.1) audio.

--Mark
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Level 7

"DoolinDalton" wrote:
I mean, I can't believe that's how the movie was meant to be. I'm still trying to do some apples to apples comparison, like take the same movie scene that I'm having sound problems via Roku and watch the same scene via Blue Ray, but with the 30 day time limit runnning out, I'm very close to just returning this flakey device.

Comparing the Roku Netflix stream with the Bluray isn't going to tell you anything, because the Roku streams are stereo, while the Bluray is some digital surround format. You'd need to compare the same scene on the Roku with the same scene on another Netflix streaming device through the same audio configuration. If they sound the same, then it's either specific to the video or it's a problem with the Netflix encodes (probably due to poor downmixing). If they sound significantly different, then the issue could be with either the Roku itself, or more likely with the Netflix encodes that the Roku uses.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
DoolinDalton
Level 7

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
What you're describing has to be an issue in the encoding. There's no way that the Roku could change the volume of dialog without affecting background noise or vice versa in content with stereo (as opposed to 5.1) audio.

--Mark

What if the movie that I was having this volume problem via Roku didn't have the problem when viewed on my computer? Does this encoding issue only affect movies viewed through Roku? Or should it also affect movies viewed through computer?
0 Kudos
DoolinDalton
Level 7

"TheEndless" wrote:

Comparing the Roku Netflix stream with the Bluray isn't going to tell you anything, because the Roku streams are stereo, while the Bluray is some digital surround format. You'd need to compare the same scene on the Roku with the same scene on another Netflix streaming device through the same audio configuration. If they sound the same, then it's either specific to the video or it's a problem with the Netflix encodes (probably due to poor downmixing). If they sound significantly different, then the issue could be with either the Roku itself, or more likely with the Netflix encodes that the Roku uses.

Yes, that would be a better test. Find a friend who watches Netflix thru, say Xbox, and compare the sound via Xbox vs via my Roku. Except I don't have someone like that.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Level 7

"DoolinDalton" wrote:

What if the movie that I was having this volume problem via Roku didn't have the problem when viewed on my computer? Does this encoding issue only affect movies viewed through Roku? Or should it also affect movies viewed through computer?

Netflix provides different streams to computers vs. the streams to the Roku. So playing the "same" movie on your computer is actually playing a completely different file which was probably encoded differently.

--Mark
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

"DoolinDalton" wrote:
"RokuMarkn" wrote:

--Mark

Different devices have different requirements and use different encodes. Your computer doesn't use the same streams as the Roku, so it's quite possible for one to play just fine and the other won't because of a bad encode.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
SuetyStanes
Level 7

What scene in what movie are you experiencing this?
0 Kudos
DoolinDalton
Level 7

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
"DoolinDalton" wrote:

Netflix provides different streams to computers vs. the streams to the Roku. So playing the "same" movie on your computer is actually playing a completely different file which was probably encoded differently.

--Mark

Mark, what you say makes sense. But not one Roku or Netflix support person mentioned this over the past week or so that I've been calling them regarding this issue. In fact, one Netflix person told me that a stream viewed thru the computer is the same stream viewed thru Roku and if viewing the movie thru Roku is giving a sound problem, then it's a problem somewhere in the Roku to TV connection or set up.
0 Kudos
antmen
Level 7

The problem might be your HDTV default audio settings. Some TV's have a "virtual surround" setting or other settings to create a "bigger" space. This is accomplished with a multitude of dynamic processors like EQ and multi-band audio compressors. The problem is that the movies or media are mixed in a certain environment and, the best mixers, try to create a compromised mix. That is to say, where it will sound as best as possible on a variety of systems/places.

When I used to mix for video (or even radio) I first tested in my studio, then burned several CD's to test in a car, home, portable player, etc. then went back and tweaked. However, if my final mastered mix was then further processed by either the radio station or the system that played the music, it would create some weird changes - in some cases phasing, distortion, etc.

The best thing for you to try is to see if your TV has a NONE or FLAT setting or something similar in its audio settings. Any other setting is intended to make the TV sound much better to the user, but it plays with the mixers' intended mix.

-Anthony
0 Kudos
DoolinDalton
Level 7

"SuetyStanes" wrote:
What scene in what movie are you experiencing this?

I've had Roku for about 3 weeks and I just started paying closer attention to this phenomenon for about a week. So within this week, I've watched and sampled over 10 movies and ALL of them displayed this sound behavior. I don't know if you are asking because you want to test this, but one movie you can test is "Unders Suspicion".

I should reiterate, documentaries and children's cartoons didn't have this sound issue.
0 Kudos