Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Shutting Down

I have a question about the Roku power supply. It says it is a "switching" power supply. I ask because every night when I go to watch, the Roku is not working. I have to unplug then re-plug back in, then it boots NP. So I was wondering if the power supply senses no usage it shuts down the power. but oddly it just doesn't want to reboot on its own. Have to power cycle. Very frustrating to add another component I manually have to mess with.

PS: I can unplug HDMI and re-plug in and that also reboots the Roku as well

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Roku Shutting Down

"Switching" is the type of technology used as opposed to the more expensive "linear".  It has nothing to do with being off or on - it's always "on".  What model is it?  Does the light on the front flash when you press a button on the remote?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

When I start the Home Theater next day, the front white light blinks or reacts  "only" when I press the home button. After multiple presses the white light up front stays on. But still no connection. Once I unplug and re-plug in, it connects and works. My next test is to move it to another TV as it could be an issue with the Denon 3600 hand shake issues. Or is has gone bad. It worked fine, just started this last month.

Model 4670RW Ultra

SN YJ003A679648

Firmware 9.3.0

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

It is probably something with the HDMI handshaking.  It's strange that it only reacts to the Home button, but it is reacting.  The light should be off when the screensaver is active and then go on once you press any button.  Once the light does come on, does it flash when any button is pressed whether or not you're seeing any picture?  It's entirely possible that your unit recently updated to v9.3 and that has something to do with this behavior if it just started recently.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

This behavior was same prior to 9.3. When I boot the system to watch, and there is just a blue screen, I tap the home button several times until it is solid. But it still doesn't bring up the unit. Every time I press the home buttons the light on the Roku blinks on every press. Then solid but still no screen.

I tried another HDMI cable..no luck. I went into my Harmony and deleted ROKU then reinstalled. No luck. I changed/added a 5 second delay for the receiver to switch to Roku thinking the Denon needed to fully boot first. No luck. I got this for Christmas 2019. I just bought a new one yesterday to test if Roku or not. I can use it in another room that has an older Roku. I wonder if these have a warranty? If the new Roku works then it certainly leads to a bad  unit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Is this getting to the TV through the Denon A/V receiver? For troubleshooting purposes, what happens if you plug the Roku's HDMI output straight into an HDMI input on the TV?
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yes it does go thru the Denon as one of the inputs.

Before I troubleshoot running direct to the JVC projector I am going to install this new one I just bought first. If it fails as well, then I will run it direct to the JVC. I might have to power cycle it off for 24 hours just to rule out the Roku being idle. In other words, connect Roku direct. Shut it all down for 24 hours, then turn on Projector while doing nothing to the Roku

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

So I have a final update. I installed my new Ultra last night. Set it up and such. I shut down. Today I booted it up and it all works like it should. No issue on lack of connecting. So the issue is possible 1 of 2.

1) My unit went defective and new one fixed the issues (only 5 months old)

2) I did notice that the Firmware on this new unit was 9.2 and not 9.3. It even checked for firmware updates and it didn't seem to find the latest 9.3 So I suspect that the issue reared its head after the 9.3 firmware update. If this is the case then I need to go into settings and turn off updates, (if this is possible) if this was indeed the real issue. 

So it was a bad unit or issues with the 9.3 firmware update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

@smhagen1 wrote:
.. If this is the case then I need to go into settings and turn off updates, (if this is possible) if this was indeed the real issue. 

I'm glad you got this working again, but sadly there is no such option.  The 9.3 update is slowly rolling out individual device by individual device.  If there's a master plan for who gets it when, I don't think anybody has ever figured it out and posted it here -- you'll get it on the new Roku when you get it. 

It hasn't hit here on any of my Rokus yet.  I'm hoping they figure out a few of the problems and have them fixed by the time I start getting it.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Well it has been 1 week and the Roku is still working fine still. So until I get "hit" with this new 9.03 I am assuming I just had a bad Roku. If or when this unit gets this 9.03 update then I will know for sure what the issue was. Firmware of Equipment

0 Kudos