Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aprilhunter7
Level 7

Roku SE constantly resetting

I just set up my Roku SE and it keeps constantly resetting itself. I can’t even scroll through the menu on home screen without it shutting off and restarting. All cables are working perfectly. Need any and all advice on how to fix this please.

7 REPLIES 7\
isthisidused
Level 7

Re: Roku SE constantly resetting

I also had this issue on my Roku Express, I call it reboot loop. Roku support wasn't any help, they suggested restarting it which I tried to explain to them that's what it is doing over and over. I have powered the Roku though a usb wall outlet, rather than the tv. So far it's working, but I only just did it this way.

Stacey80
Level 7

I also have an issues where we can be watching something and then it goes back to the bouncing roku screen

what can I do?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Aprilhunter7 wrote:

I just set up my Roku SE and it keeps constantly resetting itself. I can’t even scroll through the menu on home screen without it shutting off and restarting. All cables are working perfectly. Need any and all advice on how to fix this please.

The Roku SE (model 2710) is an extremely old player (released Sept 2013). Roku does still support it with OS updates, but it will not work with many of the latest channels. It's possible that the device is simply failing, or the power supply could also be failing. My personal opinion is you'd be far happier replacing it with a new player. You would then have support for the latest channels, and also have a far better performing player. The Premiere is currently on sale for $27.99, which is a great player. I don't recommend the Express, as it seems to be trouble-prone. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
atc98092

@Stacey80 wrote:

I also have an issues where we can be watching something and then it goes back to the bouncing roku screen

what can I do?

Please be more precise. What model Roku player? What channel is this happening with? How are you powering the Roku? If connected to a USB port on the TV try connecting it to a wall outlet with the power cube that came with the Roku.

Dan

0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 13

There's a new "SE" every year for black friday.  this year it was a gimped up express for $17 at walmart.  There's still an entire endcap filled with them at my walmart.

Short answer for anyone wandering past this thread, don't buy an SE.  Get any of the other versions.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Well, there's only one model SE listed in the developer's documentation, so that's what I based my answer on. But yeah, Roku has a bad habit of reusing player names on completely different hardware. I wish they'd stop that. 

If any of these so named SE players are a model of Express, I agree that it's not a recommended player. Especially with the Premiere on sale at such a good price right now. While my Premiere is an older version, it's been rock solid from day one. 

Dan

0 Kudos
isthisidused
Level 7

I was able to fix the issue by plugging the Roku into a separate usb power source. Has been working fine since.

0 Kudos