Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nightrise
Reel Rookie

Roku Resetting in long videos

Okay, so, my Roku Express works fine, except one thing.

I play cat videos from Youtube every day for my cats while I'm not around.  I'm talking 8 hour+ streaming videos designed for this purpose.  The problem is, after a few hours the device reboots (I work in a different part of the house) and the video is lost.

I tried it with a Chromecast originally and it had the same problem, so I figured the device finally started failing, so I got a new Roku to replace it.  But I'm having the same problem.

I contacted my internet provider, it's a municipal provider that does fiber optic direct to the house, it's 1 gig download rates, it's fantastic.  They checked hardware and the router and confirmed nothing was happening on their side.  The guy suggested it might because the download rates might be too fast and the data on long videos might be overloading the buffer on the devices causing them to crash and reboot.  

I have no idea of how to address this, I don't know that it's possible to increase the memory in the device.  Any ideas out there?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Resetting in long videos

Is the device actually rebooting or just going to sleep? Is this happening on the same TV as your Chromecast? It’s possible the culprit is your TV. Some power saving feature? Be sure your Roku is plugged straight into the wall. Also go to settings/network and disable the bandwidth saver. Bandwidth saver kicks in after 4 hours. Also disable the screensaver. Does your ISP have a data cap?

0 Kudos
Nightrise
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Resetting in long videos

Okay, well to answer your questions, yes it's actually rebooting, same TV but the Chromecast was removed (the Roku replaced it), the TV does not have a power save, everything is plugged directly, no screensaver, no cap on ISP.  

BUT...  I did not know about the bandwidth saver, and it was turned on.  Says it shuts things off after 4 hours if nothing happens on the remote, so that could be it.  I'll post again if I still the problem.  

Thanks for the info!  🙂

0 Kudos