Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bonsi
Level 7

Roku Reboot or screen blank during program

I recently replaced some of my xfinity set top boxes with Roku devices Since you can use the xfinity stream app on Roku. I have 3 different Roku products to match my various TVs capabilities. I am using the streaming stick+, express, and ultra devices all on different TVs. When watching live TV on xfinity or when watching something from any other app, about every 5-10 minutes the picture goes out for about 10 seconds then comes back on. The audio is not interrupted. I have this issue when watching live TV or when using other apps like Netflix and HBO GO which makes me think it’s a Roku issue. I am using WiFi on all of the devices and all are relatively close to the room I have my modem in. Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue and if there is a solution. Pretty annoying problem when watching things.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Roku Reboot or screen blank during program

"Bonsi" wrote:
I recently replaced some of my xfinity set top boxes with Roku devices Since you can use the xfinity stream app on Roku.   I have 3 different Roku products to match my various TVs capabilities. I am using the streaming stick+, express, and ultra devices all on different TVs.   When watching live TV  on xfinity or when watching something from any other app, about every 5-10 minutes the picture goes out for about 10 seconds then comes back on. The audio is not interrupted.  I have this issue when watching live TV  or when using other apps like Netflix and HBO GO which makes me think it’s a Roku issue.  I am using WiFi on all of the devices and all are relatively close to the room I have my modem in.  Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue and if there is a solution.  Pretty annoying problem when watching things.

I don't have an answer for you, sorry. I am curious as to the issue you are reporting though. My mother is considering returning her two Comcast set-top boxes and saving the $12/month they cost ($6/each). I don't normally use that app myself, but will give it a shot to see if I experience the same thing. Got some questions, though.

Is it on any particular Xfinity channel that you get this issue? I ask because I have a "lifeline" package that only includes local channels, like the nearest NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, etc stations, as well as their secondary programming, such as Comet, Bounce, MeTV, etc. So, I'm asking if it happens on every Xfinity channel, or just some?

Also, did I read you to say the problem occurs on other Roku apps? If that's the case, it would indicate an issue with the Roku or the app. With multiple devices, though, that points to the apps or the network.

UPDATE: I've watched an episode and change (over 30 minutes) of Comet on the Xfinity app and have not experienced any issues. I'm thinking it's not the app, or Roku in general. Although it could be your app or your Roku in particular.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Bonsi
Level 7

Thanks for responding. The issue happens both in xfinity live TV and other apps. The weird part is the audio never goes out with the picture on any app. I posted the same issue on the Roku forum but haven’t heard anything yet. What Roku are you using? I may try to hardwire my TV to see if it’s a connection thing but I wouldn’t think I would be getting sound if it was a connection issue.
0 Kudos
Bonsi
Level 7

Typo: posted issue on xfinity forum too
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"Bonsi" wrote:
Typo: posted issue on xfinity forum too

FYI: there's an edit icon on your posts (each user has them for their own posts). You can make edits there without having to create a second post to correct typos.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos