Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wellspring482
Level 7

Roku Premire Overheating Notice

Greetings All.

I'm getting on screen overheating warnings from my Roku Premiere. This began two days ago. The device is hot. I have followed the guidelines on go.roku.com/tempcheck and the problem persists. I'm wondering if this is just a product defect or something more? Anyone had any luck with this.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5\
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Premire Overheating Notice

@Wellspring482 

Which Roku Premiere do you have? What is the model number?

Settings > System > About

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Wellspring482
Level 7

Thanks DBDukes.

It's a ROKU Premiere 3920X.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Wellspring482 

That device model number could still be under warranty, as it was only discontinued earlier this year. If you've followed the instructions for that issue -- away from other electronics, out of sunlight, plenty of airflow around it -- then it could simply be a bad device. That's where warranty may come in, if you've had the device under a year.

If it's still under warranty, you may want to begin the warranty service process: https://support.roku.com/article/208757058

If it's not under warranty, it's important to understand that this is not normal behavior. I have Roku devices up to 8 years old still working today. They are normally very dependable. If you are no longer under warranty, you may need to replace the device, with with a new Roku or with another brand (Amazon Fire, Chromecast with Google TV, Apple TV, etc).

I have one of those Premiere devices such as you have, and have for around three years, and it works great. It may be simply a bad device out of a usually reliable model.

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/

Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Wellspring482
Level 7

Thanks for the assistance and advice. This is the first time I've encountered a problem with a ROKU device and this particular one is just slightly over one year old. All the best and thanks again.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

I have no idea if this will help, but it can't hurt to try.

Speculation on my part:. Your Roku has to sort thru all the data packets it receives on the WiFi channel being used to find the ones addressed to it.  If you are connected to a wifi channel that is overly congested with other devices and nearby routers, your Roku may have to  work so hard sorting packets that it overheats.

So, if you can configure your router to use a different WiFi channel that is less crowded it might lighten the load on the Roku and cure the excessive heating. At least that's my speculation.

Your Premiere only uses the 2.4 GHz band, channels 1-11, so try various channels in this range to see if you find a less crowded one.  A less crowded channel should improve your transmission rates as well.

If you try this please report back so we'll learn if this suggestion has any merit.

Note: I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600
0 Kudos