Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rekky
Level 7

Roku Premiere+ switches from 4K to 1080P HDR after sleep

When playing 4K HDR movies, my TV would display them in 1080P instead of 4K. Well, I stumbled across a review of my Premiere+ that stated that there was a bug in the Premiere+. After waking up from sleep, it would not broadcast in 4K HDR. So, I rebooted my Roku and I was getting the 4K HDR display as expected. Every time my Premier+ goes to sleep and then wakes up again, I have the same issue. And rebooting the Roku always fixes the issue.

This is what I read in the CNET review from over a year ago: "I did run into an issue with HDR Netflix, where if the box went to sleep, it would reawaken to improperly output 1080p HDR video, not 4K HDR. The result was poor image quality plagued by banding and other obvious issues, likely a result of the Roku sending the wrong color information. Toggling the display resolution to remove then reinstate HDR fixed the issue, until it went to sleep again. Roku says it's working on a fix."

So, where is this fix that Roku claimed to be working on last year? My Roku is up-to-date.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Re: Roku Premiere+ switches from 4K to 1080P HDR after sleep

@rekky Thanks for reaching out here. Past and current reports of issues often vary in true nature, despite exhibiting similar symptoms. I'd like to gather more information about exactly what is occurring to help take a closer look. A few questions here: 

- What model of Roku Premiere+ do you have? (Settings>System>About) 

- What is the specific make/model of TV that the device is connected to? 

- What is currently selected in Settings>Display type when the device goes to sleep? 

- Visit Settings>System>System update>Check now to install the latest update. Does this issue still occur on OS 9.2 build 4750? 

Thanks,

Tanner

rekky
Level 7

- Model is 4630X

- Roku is plugged into a Yamaha RX-V781 receiver.

- When the Roku goes to sleep, the Display Type is set at 4K HDR at 60Hz, HDCP 2.2

- The Roku has been on version 9.2.0

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

This is a known problem with the current public version of 9.2. If you manually set your Roku to 4K/60, it will again output 4K correctly. When the device goes to sleep, it changes itself back to auto overnight, and you'll likely be back on 1080, so you have to manually set it again to 4K.

I know a fix is coming, but I can't provide anything further. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
rekky
Level 7

Thanks for confirming that it's a known issue. Hopefully a fix will be forthcoming soon.

0 Kudos
56kModem
Level 8

I did find a new HDMI cable helps my Roku detect 4K via auto setting better than my cable from a few years back. I still have the random no sound, reboot issues. I just bought the gold plated HDMI at Wally World for about $10 bucks.
0 Kudos
anseshad
Level 9

Are you guys going to fix this issue or NOT?

Its absolutely ridiculous that you are taking all the loyal Roku users for granted. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@anseshad wrote:

Are you guys going to fix this issue or NOT?

Its absolutely ridiculous that you are taking all the loyal Roku users for granted. 

Yes, it's being addressed. As a beta tester, that's all I can say. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
anseshad
Level 9

Cool! I am glad to hear that its being looked at.

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Hi everyone, 

We appreciate everyone's patience while we've continued working to address the issues we heard reported. We have just made a new update available on supported devices, by manually checking for a system update, which should help address display issues. 

Please visit Settings>System>System update>Check now to perform a system update and install the latest update 9.2 build 4806 on supported devices. 

Then, make sure to change your current selection in Settings>Display type back to 'Auto detect'. 

A few important notes:

- If you are using a 4K TV and/or AVR, you'll need to ensure that all settings are configured/enabled to support HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2, HDR (such as Deep Color on LG TVs, or HDR+ on Samsung, HDR mode on Sony TVs, etc.) and HDCP 2.2 certified HDMI cables. You may also need to review the settings on your AVR to ensure that certain advanced features are enabled for 4K 60 Hz / 4K 60Hz HDR display type detection, and/or try adjusting HDR subsampling settings. 

- If you have enabled/modified any advanced Roku display settings during troubleshooting, such as 'Auto-detect display refresh rate' or changed HDR subsampling settings, try turning these off or changing them back to default settings. 

- You might need to power cycle your device and/or TV/AVR in order to help clear up any unresolved issues. You might also try removing and reinserting any HDMI cables connecting your devices. 

Please keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos