Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wha
Level 7

Roku Premiere somehow deleted all of my passwords and now won't play any channels,

I've had this Roku Premiere for about 2 years now with no problems.  A few weeks ago, I tried to watch Hulu (which was one of the first apps I downloaded to this Roku) and was asked for my password.  I eventually discovered that the account information for all of my apps had somehow been deleted.  I finally reinstalled all of my apps and tried to binge a show on Prime.  At first it kept buffering constantly during each episode.  Then it would stop playing the episode and I would have to exit Prime and try again.  Now it won't even load Prime.  What's worse is this problem has spread to all of the apps on this Roku!  It also seems to be dropping the wifi connection off and on,

I've tried all of the usual fixes:  I've unplugged the power and connection to the tv, waited for a while then restarted; checked for roku updates (last update was 5/13); checked for updates for each individual app (all are up to date); and even did a factory reset and reinstalled all of the apps again. All to no avail.

Meanwhile, mu 5 year old Roku stick has none of these problems.  I don't know what else to do!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Premiere somehow deleted all of my passwords and now won't play any channels,

I've found that miscellaneous wifi problems on a Roku can often be cured by restarting the router followed by a restart of the Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Do not ask me support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600
0 Kudos
Wha
Level 7

Re: Roku Premiere somehow deleted all of my passwords and now won't play any channels,

I did that a few times.  The problems persist.  Even when the wifi is on and Roku tells me the signal is "excellent" I still can't watch anything without the constant buffering, or telling me that the channel can't be played.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Can't explain the app password deletion.  Since the older Roku is probably operating on your 5ghz band with no issues, problem may be either with the 2.4ghz network or the Premiere device itself, especially if factory reset did not resolve issue.

Steps to try...

1. In router Wireless Settings, lower 2.4ghz Bandwidth to 20 mhz.  Try changing the Wireless Channel it is currently using.  (Typically, try using 1, 6, or 11 but you can use any channel between 1 and 11).  

2. Use the Premiere at the other working Roku's location and vice-versa.  (helps to determine if maybe a signal strength issue.)  If using split SSID, see if you can connect Streaming Stick to 2.4 ghz band and experience similar issues.

3. Using your Roku remote enter the Wireless Secret/Debug Screen (press Home 5x, Up, Down, Up, Down, Up)    See what is showing for your Antenna Strength (and color) and then the numbers below the bars (Channel, RSSI, Noise, and SNR).   Using this with Step 2 above, see if these numbers change (better/worse) when moving locations.  For comparison (of sorts), do same test with the working Roku. (you will see two antenna strengths for the Streaming Stick).

4. Some wonkiness with the Premieres seem to occur when they begin to heat up with age.  Using remote (press Home 5x, FF, Pause, Rewind, Pause, FF), and see what your operating temp is reading (and bar color).  [You can also access the Wireless Debug Screen this way also]

5. Test your internet speed with speedtest.net or other suitable speed test and make sure your testing device (phone/laptop) is connected to the network SSID of the Premiere. (helps eliminate internet speed as issue)

The above should help determine if you are dealing with a network configuration issue (interference/channel selection/speed hiccup) or a device issue.

Post back after doing all the tests above which may provide some needed useful info. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
0 Kudos