Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skiday78
Reel Rookie

Roku Premiere - screen goes black periodically on every channel I use

Brand new premiere, have had this issue from the first evening using it. On every channel, screen will periodically go black and sound cuts off, then it comes back about 2 seconds later. Whatever I'm watching does not stop, however, so when the screen/sound comes back on it's a few seconds later in the show or song. Have tried various fixes found on here (used different HDMI cables; tried different HDMI ports on TV; restarted router; restarted premiere; removed problem channels then restarted premiere then added channels back) and nothing has worked. Seems Roku has a programming or manufacturing issue - are you aware of this, Roku Support??

Labels (3)
17 REPLIES 17
hauptmM3
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Premiere - screen goes black periodically on every channel I use

I have the same issue periodically with an older Roku 4 using 4K HDR.

Go to System -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced Display Settings -> Auto-adjust display refresh rate.  If it's Enabled, set to Disabled.  If it's Disabled, set to Enabled.

I have mine Enabled and get the periodic black screen.  It stops when I change to Disabled.  However, I like to keep it Enabled because of picture quality under certain circumstances.  Yes, the screen going blank is annoying, but I prefer the better picture quality over a periodic annoyance.

skiday78
Reel Rookie

Thanks for that suggestion @hauptmM3. I gave that a try, setting the display to a fixed 1080p (what my TV is) instead of auto detect, and unfortunately that did not fix the problem on the Roku Premiere, it's still going black and losing audio periodically.

hauptmM3
Binge Watcher

That sounds like the setting under 'Display type'.

On the older Roku 4 there's another setting under Settings -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced display settings.

I selected 'Disable' and the issue with the screen going black periodically, disappeared.

Perhaps the Premiere doesn't have that setting.

skiday78
Reel Rookie

The advanced display setting was already set to disabled, the problem still exists.

Snaggel

We don't have premier but we have the exact same issue and it's very annoying. Can't find answers to solve the problem. Sickening trying to watch a show and it cuts out. Wish someone at Roku would help out

DonCorneo
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra - screen goes black periodically on every channel I use

I have an Ultra 4660RW that also does this. It happens 5 seconds before commercials start and 5 seconds before they end, even if it is back to back commercials. 

Another topic of the same nature points to the different video standards between the television and the commercials. 

The question is what is Roku doing to solve the issue since it appears to affect all Roku devices? A temporary fix would be to pause the show/movie then play the commercial so the black screen does not interrupt the video or audio signal. It would be far less of a nuisance to have a blank screen and no sound for a second or two in-between commercials and shows than during the show and literally missing part of the show (not real concerned about the commercials).

A good temporary solution would be to play the commercials at the very beginning and very end of the shows.

NoRefunds
Reel Rookie

I was having the same issue. Solved by changing Dolby Vision to HDR with HDCP 2.2 and restarting ROKU. Problem solved.........

0 Kudos
ChristianZane
Streaming Star

That fix is a known and ubiquitous Dolby VIsion problem, but I don't believe the Premiere even supports DV.

If you do you have a Roku and TV that supports Dolby Vision and your screen flashes, try this:

Go to Roku Display settings, choose HDR and take the Roku out of automatic display selection (5X Home, Down, Left, 3X Up).

0 Kudos
DonCorneo
Reel Rookie

I forget the exact setting, but it apparently has to do with resolution. The device prematurely switches from high resolution to low resolution to display the commercials in their native resolution which is most often very low. Due to the premature switch, a few seconds of a show goes blank just before the commercial starts resulting in missing those few seconds of the show. 

You have to turn off automatic resolution switching to keep the blank spots from happening.

It could be the same issue as DV since it probably was switching resolution also.