Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Premiere periodically stops sending output

Model: Roku Premiere 4620RW

Software version: 9.2.0 build 4807-29 (received this update just yesterday)

For several months now, my Roku has been very frustrating to use. I have a simple setup: Roku Premiere and a single 1080p output. Here is what happens:

In the evening, I turn on the screen and hit the Home button on the Roku to wake it up. I select a channel, and begin to browse for content I'd like to watch. Then, suddenly, the screen goes blank and says that it's searching for input (i.e. it's as if the HDMI cable was disconnected). Within about 10 seconds, everything returns to normal. When the video comes back, it is advanced by the time it was out --- the video kept playing in the Roku's mind while the screen was blank. After the video comes back, I can continue watching for 10-20 seconds before the whole thing is repeated.

This happens every time I sit down to watch something using the Roku. It happens on every channel (even when simply browsing the Roku's menus).

Restarting the Roku a few times solves the problem. Usually 2-3 times. This is very inconvenient as it prolongs the time-to-content. What's worse, when the Roku is restarted a few minutes, it fails to connect to the wireless network. This means that I have to go upstairs and restart the wireless access point.

I have searched on this forum without much success. Someone suggested setting the output from "auto" to "1080p". This hasn't made a difference. I think it's because I don't use 4K in any capacity.

Any suggestions on how to debug this? Any troubleshooting tips? I'm happy to provide any details.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Roku Premiere periodically stops sending output

I'm suspecting an HDMI cable issue, more than anything else. The Roku doesn't know there's a connection issue. That's why it keeps on playing blindly.  

I'd get myself a certified high-speed HDMI cable to swap out.  It's such a cheap and easy option to try. 

I just saw a 6' certified HDMI cable from Monoprice on Amazon (could get it from Monoprice, too) for $6.59, shipped.  Here's an image - notice the hdmi.org certified sticker, too.

Certified HDMI.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for the suggestion. If the cable was faulty, the problem wouldn't be solved by restarting the Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

@honza123 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. If the cable was faulty, the problem wouldn't be solved by restarting the Roku.

Not necessarily true. Restarting the Roku reinitializes the HDMI connection to whatever it's connected to. If you've got a flakey cable that's intermittently bad, starting over (rebooting) will have it communicate with the device it's connected to, including HDMI comms.

Anyway, good luck with your issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@honza123 Thanks for reaching out here.  A couple thoughts come to mind for steps you can try to resolve this. 

1. Make sure you are using the included wall power adapter to connect your device to power. 

2. Replace the HDMI cable in use, and try using a different HDMI port on the TV. 

See if that clears up the issue. If not, more details may help continue to investigate here.

- Does this happen in all streaming channels you try to watch, or is this only occurring in a single streaming channel?

- Have you tried performing a factory reset on the device?

- Does the same issue occur if you connect the device to a different TV?

With more details, we can see what other suggestions we can make, or what next steps may be needed. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have a new data point to share.

If I start the Roku, and patiently wait for it to go through the cycle without restarting it, it actually plays the movie fine without interruptions. However, as soon as I press a button (pause, fast forward, etc), it goes back into the search for input loop. This leads me to conclude that it's not some weird HDMI issue as suggested above.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

> 1. Make sure you are using the included wall power adapter to connect your device to power. 

Yes, I am.

> - Does this happen in all streaming channels you try to watch, or is this only occurring in a single streaming channel?

All channels. Even the Roku UI.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

OK, so I finally found some time to try out the other suggestions.

I tried using different HDMI cables.

I tried using different displays.

I factory-reset the Roku.

The problem persists.

@RokuTannerDPlease advise on next steps. Thanks!

0 Kudos