Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mkreyssig
Level 7

Roku Premiere only outputs PCM Audio

I have a brand new Roku Premiere hooked into my Nakamichi surround system, which then feeds to my TV.
The soundbar is only recieving PCM audio on both Disney Plus and Netflix. My audio settings are set for Auto. I do not have any "volume modes" set.
I have reset the system, tried hooking into a different HDMI port. Nothing works. Also updated the roku to the latest version (issue was happening prior as well). This is getting to be very frustrating!
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Mkreyssig
Level 7

Re: Roku Premiere only outputs PCM Audio

As an FYI....the Roku Channel does produce a Dolby Signal....nothing else!
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Hi there, 

Thanks for reaching out. Netflix and Disney+ use Dolby Digital+ format for multi-channel audio. If you're experiencing an issue where your receiver isn't acknowledging the DD+ signal format being sent, your device may fall back to Stereo audio. They do not provide standard Dolby Digital audio format tracks. 

- What selection shows in Settings>Audio>Audio mode when Auto is selected? 

- What happens if you go to Settings>Audio>HDMI and try manually selecting either Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital - DTS, or Dolby Digital Plus - DTS? 

- What specific model is your receiver? 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Kingclancy
Level 7

My Roku express (latest version) 3930CA only produces PCM audio on all channels except for Apple + where I do get Dolby Digital. 

My Yamaha AV Receiver is from 2008 (HTR 6150) . I do have it hooked up with HDMI cables and have the Audio mode on the Roku set to (Auto (Dolby Digital)) and the HDMI set to (Dolby Digital).

From Disney +, Prime Video  and Netflix the PCM audio does sound great and  produces surround sound on the rear speakers.

I am just wondering if my AV Receiver is just not indicating that the audio is 5.1 even though it still sounds like it and it is odd that Apple + shows Dolby Digital and the other channels don't?

0 Kudos
Mkreyssig
Level 7

I have Nakamichi pro 7.1 audio system (soundbar with two satellites and a sub).
When set to "auto" it shows HDMI. When I set to the Dolby 5.1 it will play audio, but receiver still says that it is receiving PCM. When I set to Dolby Plus I do not recieved any audio at all.
0 Kudos
Gam
Level 7

I have recently started having the same audio issues with Roku Ultra. It only outputs PCM format for all the channels ( Netflix, Disney, Amazon). 
my Audio setting is on Auto. It auto detection stereo no matter what modes i select( DD, DD+). 

i have just done a full factory reset and have the latest software and no difference - it only get PCM. 

0 Kudos
Drosmo
Level 7

Same problem here. Roku premier+ only outputting pcm to marantz sr 7010. I only noticed the past couple of months. It happens on Netflix and Plex apps. PS3 plays 5.1 using same cables and input on amp. 

It’s the roku. Any fix?

0 Kudos
Gam
Level 7

Hi Drosmo

After fiddling around with various options I found the following settings,  seem to cater for my environment where I have TVs in bedrooms etc. with just stereo and Lounge with AV Receivers that can handle other surround sound modes:

Audio Mode to Auto

HDMI and S/PDIF to Dolby Digital, DTS.  The Dolby Digital Plus option seem to make everything go to Stereo in my setup; At least I can now get DD 5.1 in my Lounge via Receiver and stereo on other TVs.

0 Kudos
Drosmo
Level 7

Hey Gam. I tried changing the settings on the Roku. No change.  Then I did a reset of the Roku. I found for Plex server it was able to input 5.1 DolBy digital again. Netflix however still was only showing a PCM input into the receiver.

I then checked my PS3 with the Plex and Netflix app. They were both able to input 5.1 into the receiver. It appears to be a setting problem (perhaps?) With myNetflix app on my Roku. I do have a Roku streaking stick +  I will try to switch out and see if I can get 5.1 coming from Netflix.

0 Kudos
Waultool
Level 7

I know this is am older thread bit I just started having the same issue. I have roku premiere + hooked up to my yamaha 7.1 reciever. It has a ARC hook up to tue tv. It worked great  up until a few weeks ago. Only plays stero PCM. Except on 4K disney. Netflix, Plex amd any thing is stereo. Did this issue ever get resolved?

0 Kudos