Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AFaff96
Level 7

Roku Premiere on Samsung TV turns off and then powers back up

I have a Roku Premiere plugged into an older Samsung tv. I've had this setup since November and have had no problems until this past week. When watching something through Roku, my tv shuts off and then reboots roku randomly. I've tried different HDMI's, unplugging and plugging back in. I've also looked for system updates and my roku is up to date.

19 Replies
boogernose
Level 18

Re: Roku Premiere on Samsung TV turns off and then powers back up

Try lowering your resolution.

Settings/Display Type/>> try 720p

Good luck

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
thedragsman
Level 7

I have the same problem with my newer Samsung TV in that when pressing the power button to turn the TV off, it turns it back on again automatically.  If I block the signal from the front of the remote immediately after pressing the power button, this works to keep it from turning the TV on again.  It appears that it is a remote issue.  I have tried using 14 of the different preset codes in Roku box, but only one works the volume but I then lose control of turning the TV off as the power button will not work. 

If you have found any solutions, please share as this is bad for the TV to cycle like this; off and on rapidly.   

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@thedragsman wrote:

I have the same problem with my newer Samsung TV in that when pressing the power button to turn the TV off, it turns it back on again automatically.  If I block the signal from the front of the remote immediately after pressing the power button, this works to keep it from turning the TV on again.  It appears that it is a remote issue.  I have tried using 14 of the different preset codes in Roku box, but only one works the volume but I then lose control of turning the TV off as the power button will not work. 

If you have found any solutions, please share as this is bad for the TV to cycle like this; off and on rapidly.   

Go into the Roku settings and find Controlling other devices. Sometimes it's labeled One Touch play, or it might say something about CEC. Disable that function and it should no longer do anything with the TV. Of course, you also lose any ability to use the CEC function as intended, such as hitting the Roku remote home button and have the TV change to that input automatically. You have to pick your poison hers. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Nancie7870
Level 7

Sorry didn’t work

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Nancie7870 wrote:

Sorry didn’t work

What didn't work? There are several responses in this thread, and you didn't quote which one you tried. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Nancie7870
Level 7

I tried changing resolution I also tried unplugging and plugging back I’ve also tried  system operation reboot. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Nancie7870 wrote:

I tried changing resolution I also tried unplugging and plugging back I’ve also tried  system operation reboot. 

OK, did you disable one-touch play in the Roku settings? That is most likely what is triggering the TV power. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Nancie7870
Level 7

I can’t find that in my settings 

I go to settings 

remote and devices then what?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Nancie7870 wrote:

I can’t find that in my settings 

I go to settings 

remote and devices then what?

Roku has changed its labeling on some devices. Look under "System/Control other devices", not the remote settings. It might be worded a little differently, but should say something about control. Look under that for 1-Touch Play, or CEC, or some other phrase like that. 

Dan
0 Kudos