Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Premiere not launching

Hello,

I've done all the usual restarts, but Roku Premiere will not launch at all today. I even changed the batteries in my remote. Instead, it goes directly to Google TV. The TV is a Vizio M602i-B3. Could it be that the TV did a firmware update overnight that's not compatible with Roku today? Everything works fine on my upstairs Samsung TV also with Roku Premiere. 

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Premiere not launching

@MarcinAustin 

If you have two Roku Premiere devices, then it should be easy enough to test to see if it's the device itself.

First, the Roku Premiere came with the Simple Remote, an IR remote. The Premiere+ (not the same device) came with a WiFi Direct remote, which must be paired. I'm proceeding as if your device is a Roku Premiere.

Swap the devices:

1. Power down the "bad" TV.
  2. Unplug the "bad" Roku from power and HDMI.
  3. Take the "bad" Roku to the "good" TV.
  4. Unplug the "good" Roku and set aside.
  5. Connect the "bad" Roku to the "good" TV.
  6. Power up and see if it works.
  7. To complete the testing, take the "good" Roku to the "bad" TV.
  8. Connect the "good" Roku to the "bad" TV.
  9. Power up and see if it work.
  10. If the "bad" Roku now works, it's not the Roku.
  11. If the "good" Roku doesn't work, it's the "bad" TV (or HDMI or other, but not the Roku).

What are the results of that testing?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

Hi DBDukes,

Thank you for your suggestion, The "bad" Roku works fine on another TV. What I think it might be is that Hulu did an update last night and it's saying it no longer works on my Vizio smart TV (nice, huh?). When speaking to them (yes, I can actually get a Hulu rep on the phone, what a concept, huh Roku?), they were aware of that issue and coincidentally suggested I access Hulu through my Roku, which no longer works now either.

I wonder if Roku is aware of this issue.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@MarcinAustin 

I'm confused.

The "bad" Roku works fine on another TV? Yet you say that Hulu doesn't work on the "bad" Roku?

Does Hulu not work on either Roku?

Okay, let me state what I'm reading your posts to say.

• Bad Roku won't operate when connected to Bad TV.
  • Bad Roku will operate when connected to Good TV.
  • Bad Roku will not launch Hulu, regardless of which TV it's connected.
  • Good Roku will not launch Hulu, regardless of which TV it's connected.

Is that right?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

Solved it.

I guess I didn't realize I'd changed inputs last night. TV was on the wrong HDMI setting. I did still get a new incompatibility issue with my TV from a Hulu update overnight, that requires I get to Hulu+ from a Roku. But I just got the Roku working, so I'm good.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos