Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fishface
Streaming Star

Roku Premiere not finding network connection

I cut the cord for rip-off Cox cable tv a year and a half ago and bought three Rokus.  All was fine until my Roku Premiere would not establish a network connection and then a few days ago it happened to my Roku Premiere Plus. When I tried a different Roku each time it connected immediately.  Fortunately I bought a SquareTrade warranty with each Roku.  When I put in a claim on each, they sent me, and are sending me a check for what each cost.

With SquareTrade, the four year warranty cost $2-4 each but you have to record the serial number and submit your Roku receipt - a PITA but well worth it. Conclusion:  Rokus are great but do-not work forever, so I would recommend an extended warranty..  They do get hot and this probably fries their innards.  

2 REPLIES 2
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Premiere not finding network connection

@Fishface-

Your Premiere models only work in the 2.4 GHz wifi band.  Your problems with these models may have been caused by an update to your wifi router.

There are some router setting issues that can prevent establishing Roku wifi connections. And to make matters worse, some of them can be caused by recently-reported router updates. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers (Comcast/xfinity, Cox, and AT&T so far), but it's possible they could also occur with other internet providers or user-owned routers that have received similar updates.

• ROKU LOCATES NETWORK AND REPORTS NETWORK QUALITY BUT CANNOT CONNECT
    Some router updates have changed the router's connection settings on the 2.4 GHz wifi band from b/g/n to just g/n, causing Rokus connecting to the 2.4 GHz wifi band to lose their ability to connect to the network. The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n.

• ROKU CANNOT FIND LOCAL WIFI NETWORK AT ALL
    A) Some recent router updates have turned off the router's use of the 2.4 GHz band. Some Roku models, notably Roku Express/Express+ (not the relatively new Express 4K/4K+ models 3940/3941) and Premiere/Premiere+ (model numbers above 4620), are lower end units with single band Wi-Fi radios that only support the 2.4 GHz band. They, and many other devices of all sorts that are 2.4 GHz only, can't even see the 5 GHz band, let alone connect to it. If you have 2.4 GHz only Roku model and a dual band router with both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, be sure the router's 2.4 GHz band is turned on.

B) In the 2.4 GHz WiFi band, all Rokus support channels 1-11, as are used in North America. If your router supports 2.4 GHz channels outside this range make sure your router is set to use a channel in this range and that you aren't using an auto setting that could select channels outside this range.

C) Rokus with dual-band wifi radios can connect to the 5 GHz wifi band in two ranges of channel numbers, 36-48, and 149-165. If your router supports 5 GHz channels outside these two ranges make sure your router is set to use a channel with these ranges and that you aren't using an auto setting that could select channels outside these ranges.

If you need to make configuration changes on equipment supplied by your internet provider but you have no access to its settings, you may need to request your internet provider to make the changes for you.

If your problem was not caused by any of the above, often a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku will allow the connection to be reestablished. Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the "System restart" option under either "Settings > System > Power" or "Settings > System", or if more convenient you can just remove the Roku's power for a few seconds and let it restart.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Fishface
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Premiere not finding network connection

@makaiguy, my Roku Express. works fine where my Roku Premiere failed to connect. I have a dual router for 2.4 and 5.0 GHZ, so I don’t think that was the issue. I did resets/restarts you outlined, etc. before I gave up on the unit.  I have two Roku Stick+ to work with the 5.0.

Thanks for your input.

0 Kudos