Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesloey
Channel Surfer

Roku Premiere Won't Shut Off

I have a Roku Premiere (4620x) in my living room and bedroom.

The one in the living room stays off when not in use but the one in the bedroom stays on.
I'm using the same Logitech remote on both.
When I'm watching tv in the bedroom the receiver stays off but when I shut
everything down, it turns back on.

Any ideas?

James

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Premiere Won't Shut Off

A Roku is designed to never shut off. That’s why they don’t have a power button. There is no way to turn off a Roku unless you unplug it. Some Roku remotes allow you to turn your TV power on and off. But a Roku itself never turns off. Not sure what you mean about your other Roku turns off 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@jamesloey 

Explain what you mean by "stays on" and "stays off." Roku devices (except the Roku 4, which those aren't) don't really turn off. They can enter a low power mode, but there are settings on the Roku device and on the TV that can impact that.

So, give us some details on what you mean, and we'll try to help figure this out.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
jamesloey
Channel Surfer

Stay on I mean the light is on the front of the unit, it's on. When the light is off the unit is off.

I'm more curious why one shuts off and the other won't, being the same device.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@jamesloey wrote:

Stay on I mean the light is on the front of the unit, it's on. When the light is off the unit is off.

That's not an accurate conclusion. The device is still on, but probably in a low power mode. It's not off. Roku devices don't turn off. However, that does help explain what you mean, and perhaps lead to an answer.

@jamesloey wrote:

... I'm more curious why one shuts off and the other won't, being the same device.

Since they are the same model number, there are some tests that can be done. Remember I said device and TV settings can impact how the low power mode happens? That's what we probably need to check.

I don't have that model Roku, and depending on the variations in hardware, as well as software versions, they can have different settings for various things. For example, on one device, I have a setting for the LED located at Settings > System > Advanced system settings.

However, on another device I have, there is no LED setting.

On a still different device, I have Settings > System > Power which is for quick start and other features. In no case is there an actual powering off of the device.

Additionally, depending on how the TV interacts with the Roku device, CEC settings on the TV and the Roku (Settings > System > Control other devices) can impact how quickly, or if at all, a Roku enters a low power mode.

A first test would be to swap the Roku devices. The 4620 came with an IR remote, so if both have IR remotes, it's not necessary to swap the remotes. Just unplug the Roku devices and swap them. Leave the power and HDMI cables in place.

Once you do that, does the LED situation follow the Roku? Or does it remain with the TV?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
jamesloey
Channel Surfer

I switched them out and the other receiver's light stays lit. So, which ever
receiver I hook-up in the bedroom, the lite stays on.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

How are you powering your Rokus -- plugging them into house power via the USB power converter or directly into a USB port on your TV?

If into a USB port on the TV, note that the ports on some TVs power down when you shut the TV down, but stay energized on some other TVs when the TV is shut down.  Perhaps your bedroom TV's USB port stays energized and your living room's doesn't.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos