Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
allgar
Level 7

Roku Premiere+Sound dropping - Is there a fix coming?

OK - so I've been using the new Premiere + and as I've seen all over this forum there is a known issue where there is sound drops. It's sporadic but it happens frequently, probably 5 or 6 times in a 30 minute show. It happens over Plex and Netflix both.

I know it's the Roku because when I use the internal Samsung Plex and Netflix apps there are no sound drops. 

So the question is: 1) Is there a fix coming? and if there is 2) What time frame are we looking at?  

Basically I just want to know whether I should just return the Roku at this point? I have two other Roku 3s that will work for the other content that I use which I can't get through the Samsung. Is this Premiere+ just a dud. Very sad, because I've been a huge supporter of the Roku for years, this is my 4th one... but it just doesn't work.

Can someone from Roku comment? 
0 Kudos
21 Replies
Bagbill
Level 7

Re: Roku Premiere+Sound dropping - Is there a fix coming?

Hi, same here with new Premiere+. Saw some older threads that were closed with same complaints but no resolution.
0 Kudos
jinj
Level 7

I see/hear this often on the P+ with HBO Now.
0 Kudos
bjb1959
Level 7

Same thing happened to me only when using the Rou. Plex, netflix, amazon etc worked fine from my phone and chromecast but had drops when using the Roku. I have traced the problem, I believe, to an issue with the Dolby processing. I use HDMI through a Samsung soundbar/surround sound system and then to my vizio 4K tv. My guess is that because both the Roku and the Samsung are processing and decoding the Dolby stream that they are conflicting and causing the drops. Roku, unfortunately, does not have the ability to shut off the processing without shutting off Dolby and sending only PCM to the Samsung which defeats the purpose of having surround sound. My only choice was to buy an Amazon Fire TV because it has an audio setting specifically to not process dolby and to just let hdmi send the sound. with that switched on I no longer have the sound drops, my Samsung soundbar does all the processing for Dolby and everything is in glorious Dolby D + with no drops in sound. Roku should fix the issue by allowing sound to be sent directly to hdmi with no processing just like the fire tv does. I wish I had a solution for you but unless you are willing to forgo dolby I don't think you have any options unless Roku fixes the problem.
0 Kudos
Bennabus
Level 7

The Roku should just output bitstream to the sound bar. They can't both decode simultaneously, either the soundbar gets a bitstream and decodes it, or the Roku decodes it and outputs PCM to the soundbar which just plays whatever it gets at that point. I have the exact same problem and I'm running it through an AVR, plus I've had it with Dolby shut off on the Roku. It sounds like the Roku is losing parts of the audio stream.
0 Kudos
bjb1959
Level 7

All I know is that no matter the setting on the roku, tv and soundbar in all possible combinations it would drop sound. The fire tv has 1 setting that roku doesn't and that's to pass sound directly through the hdmi. This did the trick for me.if I used any other setting on the fire tv I had the same drops in sound.
0 Kudos
delfinparis
Level 7

Anyone seen a fix yet? Firmware 7.6.0 build 4120 didn't fix it.

Huge issue with Plex - just played a 30 min show and it did five 1/2 second dropouts over that time. I could live with one. But five? C'mon, guys...  Smiley Happy
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem, and I have not seen a fix.  I switched back to my old Roku 3 and the problem disappears.  This after upgrading all the HDMI cables to ensure they were all HDCP 2.2 / HDMI 2.0 compatible.  Went with 24Gbps cables.  Have absolutely no problems with my Nvidia Shield.  What I've noticed is, when the sound drops, my AVR still thinks the sound stream is present, as the display will continue to show Dolby Digital + 3/2 or 3/4, and the Video stream carries on playing.  It's as if the audio metadata is present in the HDMI feed, but no actual audio content is passed to the AVR.

I will be calling their tech support today as I'm within the 90 day warranty period.  I will post back with their response.
0 Kudos
Satchel
Level 7

I have this issue as well with my new (last month) Premiere+. It is unacceptable and, really, pathetic that such a big issue hasn't been patched out. It happens every 3-6 minutes on my unit. I've tried many "fixes", even rebooting before watching, and nothing works. Rubbish product as far as I'm concerned.
0 Kudos
Buzzsaw
Level 7

The ROKU doesn't decode Dolby...this is from the ROKU support FAQ's:
Can I listen to movies and TV shows in surround sound?
Yes. Although most Roku streaming devices do not decode Dolby Audio[sup:s2zfcneh][/sup:s2zfcneh] or DTS[sup:s2zfcneh]®[/sup:s2zfcneh] surround sound, they can pass-through the audio to an audio/video receiver (AVR) or another device that is capable of decoding surround sound.
You can use the Roku device comparison chart[/url:s2zfcneh] to determine which products can decode Dolby Audio via H...

how to set up your Roku streaming device for surround sound[/url:s2zfcneh].

The problem was introduce...
Roku Ultra
Samsung UN65JS8500 (4K/HDR)
DirecTV HR54-500
Yamaha RX-A770 Aventage AVR

Room 2:
Sony KD43X720E
ROKU 4
Yamaha RX-V679 AVR
0 Kudos