Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lowsmith
Level 7

Roku Premiere Plus - boots every time I turn on TV

I have a Premiere Plus (3921), it is powered using the wall adapter. Yet every time I turn on the TV I have to wait for it to Boot up.  

I can't find any configurations that would allow it to remain up and ready rather than shutting down after some (undetermined) period of inactivity.

How to I prevent this?

Thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Roku Premiere Plus - boots every time I turn on TV

What happens if you just turn off the TV for say, 2 minutes and turn it back on?

I don't know how CEC works, but could it be a CEC setting? Someone with knowledge of it could chime in on that.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
lowsmith
Level 7

@jeffrok, 
    the roku is not connected to the usb (for power) on the TV. if I understand it correctly the CEC setting will allow you to decide how to handle power via the usb port. that said, Since I am using the wall adapter for power that shouldn't be an issue.

if I turn off the tv for a sort period, it seems to be hit or miss as to whether the roku powers down.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"lowsmith" wrote:
@jeffrok, 
    the roku is not connected to the usb (for power) on the TV. if I understand it correctly the CEC setting will allow you to decide how to handle power via the usb port. that said, Since I am using the wall adapter for power that shouldn't be an issue.

if I turn off the tv for a sort period, it seems to be hit or miss as to whether the roku powers down.

CEC allows one device to control another, such as turning on a TV will also power up a connected AVR and ensure its input is set to the TV. If I hit the Home button on my Roku, it will power on the TV and the AVR, with all the inputs set correctly. Turning the TV off will also power off my AVR, but the Roku has always remained "on". I don't believe any Roku, with the possible exception of the older Roku 4, can actually be "turned off". All others might dim or turn off the front light, but they remain on. I don't have a Premiere+, but I do have the latest Premiere attached to a Vizio TV. When I power the TV on, the Roku is already running. If I hit the Roku home button, the TV powers on and changes to the correct HDMI input. If yours is truly powered down for some reason, it either has a setting I've never encountered on any other player, or it's defective in some way. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

"lowsmith" wrote:
@jeffrok, 

Is it in a surge protector, and if so, have you tried different outlets? Or tried a DIFFERENT surge protector? Have you ever left the tv for a LONG time in the background, to see if maybe the Roku is randomly rebooting itself?

It sounds like you have one of those funky surge protectors that allows switching to each outlet,.and it's misbehaving.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos