Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
terrysvtx
Level 7

Roku Premiere Plus and The HDCP 2.2 Issue

I purchased a new P+ about a month ago to replace my aging Roku 3 which is a great streaming device.  I have a new LG Smart Ultra 4K HD Tv which is 2.2.  I have had the tv for about a year which worked fine with the Roku 3 but when I hooked up the P+ I stared having the issue with the 2.2 error coming up on the purple screen and no 4k anything. I have read everything that I could to try and solve the problem to no avail.  I almost sent the P+ back for a refund until I found out about using a HDMI splitter which was 2.2 compatible. I purchased the Monoprice Blackbird 4K Pro 1x2 Splitter With HDCP 2.2 Support from Amazon for $29.99.  I hooked this up after the Roku and have not had a single issue with the HDCP 2.2 or the purple screen and the 4k is working perfectly.  I went into the Roku settings and set the display to 4K UHD.  I have been using this for about a week and I have not had to reboot the Roku 1 time yet. If anybody out there is having this issue you should look in to this. It was a cheap fix to what I have read is a pretty big problem with the P+ and the Ultras.  I am not using a receiver with my Roku I just have it hooked directly to the tv. 
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jo_Boo
Level 7

Re: Roku Premiere Plus and The HDCP 2.2 Issue

Here is the real reason Roku Premier Plus gives an HDCP 2.2 error.  Roku Premier Plus does not support HDR.  That's it.  To fix the problem go into Roku Display Type and change it from Auto Detect to 4K at 60Hz and make sure it isn't either option with HDR in the name.  This is the fix for the HDCP 2.2 error with Roku Premier Plus.  However, when there is another Roku software update it will reset the Display Type to Auto Detect once again and you'll know this when you start getting this error again.
How did I figure this out? I spent 2 hours on the phone with Roku support, we tested new 2.2 HDMI cables, reversed them, checked my TV, checked my receiver, checked absolutely everything.  Then the support person suggested I change the Display Type to 4K at 60Hz.  When I asked why not change it to 4KHDR at 60Hz he told me that the Roku Premier Plus wasn't HDR compliant.  I told him that on the box it said 4K HDR ready.  He kept correcting me saying that no it wasn't HDR and that my box didn't say HDR (I think he was in the Philippines) .  So he had me change Display Type to 4KHDR at 60Hz and a few minutes into a show the screen on my TV went black and on another try gave me the HDCP 2.2 error purple screen.  Then when I changed the Display Type to 4K at 60Hz with no HDR the show I previously streamed played seamlessly from then on.
So the bottom line is that you need to keep the Roku Premier Plus Display Type on 4k at 60Hz to avoid the DHCP 2.2 error.  The second thing you need to do is call Roku and tell them you want a replacement for your non-HDR Roku Premier Plus with a model that does support it.  The third thing is to tell your retailer that Roku is lying about their product and that they should no longer carry it until they label their products truthfully.  There should be an inquiry into Roku's deceptive marketing because they own the streaming market and have been deceiving customers for many years without facing any penalties.  Please pass this on to whomever is having an issue and contact Best Buy, Costco and anyone else who is selling the Roku Premier Plus.  Cheers.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 9

"Jo Boo" wrote:
Here is the real reason Roku Premier Plus gives an HDCP 2.2 error.  Roku Premier Plus does not support HDR.  That's it.  To fix the problem go into Roku Display Type and change it from Auto Detect to 4K at 60Hz and make sure it isn't either option with HDR in the name.  This is the fix for the HDCP 2.2 error with Roku Premier Plus.  However, when there is another Roku software update it will reset the Display Type to Auto Detect once again and you'll know this when you start getting this error again.
How did I figure this out? I spent 2 hours on the phone with Roku support, we tested new 2.2 HDMI cables, reversed them, checked my TV, checked my receiver, checked absolutely everything.  Then the support person suggested I change the Display Type to 4K at 60Hz.  When I asked why not change it to 4KHDR at 60Hz he told me that the Roku Premier Plus wasn't HDR compliant.  I told him that on the box it said 4K HDR ready.  He kept correcting me saying that no it wasn't HDR and that my box didn't say HDR (I think he was in the Philippines) .  So he had me change Display Type to 4KHDR at 60Hz and a few minutes into a show the screen on my TV went black and on another try gave me the HDCP 2.2 error purple screen.  Then when I changed the Display Type to 4K at 60Hz with no HDR the show I previously streamed played seamlessly from then on.
So the bottom line is that you need to keep the Roku Premier Plus Display Type on 4k at 60Hz to avoid the DHCP 2.2 error.  The second thing you need to do is call Roku and tell them you want a replacement for your non-HDR Roku Premier Plus with a model that does support it.  The third thing is to tell your retailer that Roku is lying about their product and that they should no longer carry it until they label their products truthfully.  There should be an inquiry into Roku's deceptive marketing because they own the streaming market and have been deceiving customers for many years without facing any penalties.  Please pass this on to whomever is having an issue and contact Best Buy, Costco and anyone else who is selling the Roku Premier Plus.  Cheers.

You're incorrect about the HDR issue and the P+ support. I had perfectly fine HDR at 4K HDR 60hz until a recent firmware update (going to the 8.xx firmware from 7.xx firmware). Now it's unstable at 4K HDR 60hz but will work fine at 4K HDR 30hz. Unfortunately, channels don't use 30hz, so no HDR. But I watched many, many hours of Netflix and Amazon HDR 60hx video without problems until this firmware change. I would get the little "HDR" drop down bubble on my LG HDR TV at the beginning of all shows, and more color range. And no HDCP errors or video anomalies. So, the support for it is in the box.  In their case, it's the software driving the box that's changed and has caused these instability issues...for me, anyway.
0 Kudos
mike_s
Level 8

My Premiere Plus works just fine with 4K-HDR.
0 Kudos
SimonKennedy
Level 7

I may be having a similar issue: 4K *was* working via my Roku Premier+ connected to a Sony VPL VW365ES projector via an Anthem MRX 1120 receiver, then it stopped.  When I checked display type, it would no longer support 4K HDR at 60Hz, topping out at 30Hz, even though both my Anthem and my VP support 60Hz, and I can watch Netflix in 4K via the App in my Sony X800 4K DVD player.  I even went into the 'advanced' settings on the Roku and changed the Chroma sub-sampling to 4:2:0 (which is what my VPL supports; the Anthem can support everything up to 4:4:4).  The short term fix is to use the DVD player instead of the Roku, but that's annoying because a) for reasons known only to Sony the X800 still doesn't support Atmos whereas the Rocku does and b) Just not using a device for its intended purpose is not the same as fixing it.   I can set it to 4K without HDR, but of course I want HDR, too, not just the 4K.  Appreciate any advice anybody has - have tried rebooting, changing HDMI cables, etc. to no avail. Many people are reporting this as an issue that results from upgrading firmware from 7.X to 8.X, but I'm afraid I haven't been paying enough attention to which firmware I had when it was working and which one when it stopped - assume I'm current on 8.X, but haven't checked recently - is there any way to roll back the firmware to an earlier version to see if that's the issue?  Assume not, or somebody would have suggested or tried doing so...[/font]
0 Kudos