Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lorax
Level 7

Roku Premiere Plus - TV Resolution Issue

Hello:
Just purchased a Roku Premier Plus. The Roku is connected via HDMI to an LG LED TV with 1080 resolution. When the Roku is powered on, I see Roku dancing logo on screen for about 5 seconds, then the screen goes blank and replaced by a no signal logo from LG on TV. The Roku has Ethernet connection to internet. The first time I installed the menu allowed me to pick English and language then asked to download software updates, which I think was accomplished. Shortly after update finished, the TV lost Roku screen.
Called LG they said likely a resolution issue with Roku because TV is standard 1080. LG provided Roku tech support #, but the company does not offer tech support for this device, thus here trying to resolve. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Lorax
0 Kudos
9 Replies
renojim
Level 10

Re: Roku Premiere Plus - TV Resolution Issue

Since you just got it, the easiest thing to do is a factory reset. On the bottom you'll see a reset button. Hold the button in for no less than 30 seconds. Ignore anything that may or may not appear on the TV and just hold the button in for the full 30 seconds. It should take you back to the initial setup stuff. You may have to disconnect the power for a few seconds and reconnect it after the factory reset.

You may want to post more information about your TV. You should know that Roku only supports 1080p, not 1080i, so if your TV is 1080i, you'll want to select 720p for the resolution.

Good luck! If you need more help, there's lots of helpful people here on the forum.

-JT
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

How new is your TV? Remember that there are two flavors of 1080: 1080i and 1080p. Some older 1080 sets only supported 1080i. Roku only supports 1080p. to test this, you could plug the Roku into another TV that it works with, change the resolution to 720 (which the other TV should support), then try it again. If it works at 720, then that's likely the problem. If it still doesn't work, I'd try a different HDMI cable, and like renojim suggested try a hard reset.

EDIT: sorry renojim, I see you already mentioned the resolution after I posted.  Smiley Surprisedops:
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Lorax
Level 7

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried several times to do a hard reset of the devise by pushing & holding reset button on the bottom of the unit. I would count 20-30 seconds each time. Same thing . . . Roku dancing logo screen appears then goes away to blank screen, then after 5 seconds TV's no signal logo comes on. I also unplugged the power after reset, waiting 20 seconds, plugging power back in, same result. 

My TV is an LG 47LH30. According to manual, it's HDTV formats include 1080i and 720p resolutions. So, it looks like the LG and Roku are not compatible at 1080. Unfortunately, I only have one TV in household, thus cannot try getting to menu to change resolution to 720.  Not sure what to do, other than return this devise and get another model that has compatible resolution. Not preferred. 

Anything else I can try ? . . . much appreciated. 
0 Kudos
mike1597
Level 7

"Lorax" wrote:
My TV is an LG 47LH30. According to manual, it's HDTV formats include 1080i and 720p resolutions. So, it looks like the LG and Roku are not compatible at 1080. Unfortunately, I only have one TV in household, thus cannot try getting to menu to change resolution to 720.  Not sure what to do, other than return this devise and get another model that has compatible resolution. Not preferred. 

Anything else I can try ? . . . much appreciated. 

The LG website shows 47LH30 has the following specs...
HDMI(1080i/1080p/720p) Component(1080i/1080p/720p)
I would try using a different HDMI port (there are 3).  Also try reversing the HDMI cable and/or try a different HDMI cable.
0 Kudos
MrBede
Level 7

Premiere plus device lights up but tv screen is blank. HDMI cord switched to another device and it works fine.
Why do some say to push the reset button on bottom of device? There is no reset button anywhere on the device. 
I've tried to re-pair the remote but the results are the same.
0 Kudos
MrDifficult
Level 7

The reset button is there, on the bottom of the main unit.  It is the size of a Tic Tac, quite flush to the rest of the box, and imprinted with the word 'reset'.  Make sure you hold it for a spell to fully reset the startup process.  No telling what your actual problem is without more info, you'd have been better off with a new post then this necro.
0 Kudos
JasonPC
Level 7

I have my Roku premiere+ hooked up to a Yamaha audio receiver and when I switch turn everything on since the late November update I briefly see a flash of the screen and then see nothing but a blank screen but can hear sounds from the device. This update is really garbage. To fix I either have to switch inputs, unplug and replug the hdmi, or reset the device.
0 Kudos
Bacon
Level 9

0 Kudos
jinj
Level 7

"Bacon" wrote:
Probably related to this.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=109721

Sounds like it.