Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Premiere Overheating

Jump to solution
My Roku Premiere keeps overheating while watching TV. I have it out in the open and even tried suspending it in the air so it was well ventilated. I have accessed the Secret menu and it shows that the unit is running at 110C while sitting at the home screen. I have tried a factory reset etc and none of these have addressed the issue.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Overheating issues

Jump to solution

@Moralesebas 

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website and seeing if that resolved your issue.

If you are still experiencing issues with your device overheating after exhausting those troubleshooting steps, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
33 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Premiere Overheating

Jump to solution

@Gunners2004 

Thanks for the inquiry.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

Keep us posted if there are any other questions we can help answer! 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'm currently having the same problem with my Roku Premiere 3920 I've owned for about six months. Overheating notifications just started, but the device is in the open and there's no reason it should be getting so hot. I've tried moving it, changing outlets and the problem continues. Unplugging to let it cool off only helps temporarily and once plugged back in, the overheating notification comes back on after 20-30 mins. Defective device?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. But it only happens when streaming hockey on NBC Sports. This doesn’t happen on my stick or express. Any one have any ideas? I have done everything suggested wondering if it is defective.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

There is obviously an issue with these products overheating that Roku will not address. Their support is less than good. My Premiere worked fine for 6 months and now is overheating. No help from them. 

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@carguy1949 @Dustybottoms @nhunter23 

Thanks for the note.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with my Roku premiere......  it is plugged into the wall and sits in an open area.  The self-help page does not address the issue.......and appears that there is no other support options from Roku.  Very disappointing customer service from Roku

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with overheating. I have done all of the things recommended, as well as changed out the HDMI cable to move the unit farther away from all other electrical devices and not in a cabinet. The device gets hot to the touch within in minutes of turning on.

What other options or remedies are there to prevent this unit from self destruction? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I've tried all of those suggestions and it still gets hot. It's in a spot with plenty of ventilation, so that's not the problem. Seems to be a defective unit or a poor design.

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Sailguy @nhunter23 @Hayes411 

Thanks for the update.

Have you tried placing the device in a different HDMI port on the TV? Some TVs offer HDMI ports on both the back and sides of the TV, which may help improve airflow to the unit.

If that isn't an option or doesn't seem to resolve the issue, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About. I'll follow up directly to assist you more from there!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos