Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farmchild
Level 7

Roku Premiere+ - No Sound until restart

I'm using a Roku Premiere+ (4630X) model and primarily use it with SlingTV.  I've been using it without any major problems for months now, but starting just this week I've experienced a new issue with audio.  Several times a day, audio stops playing entirely with the Roku.  When this occurs, all audio stops functioning permanently until a reboot of the Roku.  This impacts all channels I've tried (SlingTV, Amazon, Youtube, etc..), and even effects all menu noise in the main Roku screens.  Upon restart of the Roku device, everything functions fine again for a few hours until the issue repeats.

I have the Roku plugged into an Onkyo receiver (TX-NR545) via HDMI, and the receiver feeds directly into my TV (Samsung UN65K8000F).  I have confirmed that when the issue with the Roku occurs, I can switch to a chromecast on the same Receiver, and audio still works.  When I switch back to the Roku, audio does not work.  This tells me it's an issue with the Roku and not my receiver or audio equipment.  I've checked for updates and verified I'm using the latest software version (8.1.0 Build 4159)

Upon googling or searching forums, the only audio issue I've seen report with roku is where the audio continually cuts in and out as you are streaming, but that is not what is happening in my case.  Sound completely stops working on the Roku and will not start working again until I reboot the roku.  Has anybody else seen this issue, or know of a way to fix this?
0 Kudos
64 Replies
rhythm1
Level 7

Re: Roku Primiere+ - No Sound until restart

I have the same issue with my Roku Premiere (4620X). I also have used it for almost a year with no audio issues until recently.

I also have the latest software version (8.1.0 Build 4159), and the Roku is connected to a Denon AVR via HDMI which outputs to my Sony TV.
When I started having audio dropouts I tried changing HDMI cables and using different HDMI inputs on my receiver with no success. The only solution is rebooting the Roku.
The audio stops working at least once a day.
0 Kudos
drakinfar
Level 7

Same issue here with model 4630x 8.1.0 Build 4159-29. Have to restart to regain audio happening since about Saturday.
0 Kudos

Very interesting, I just experienced this for the first time the other night with my Premiere 4620, which is connected directly to the TV's HDMI and uses the TV's speakers. Roku is at the latest release, and was never an issue with previous releases for over a year. Reboot is the only thing that clears it up. Switching to the HDMI input for the CATV box and the sound is fine, so it's definitely a Roku issue.
0 Kudos
rhythm1
Level 7

This audio dropout issue is surprisingly similar to the problem seen when disconnecting headphones that is reported here.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 9de025de48

Rebooting is the only thing that recovers the audio.
0 Kudos
T_J
Level 7

Dec 2016 I bought a Premiere + (4630X). Currently use Netflix, YouTube, DirecTV Now. Premiere + HDMI connected to Sony TV and uses either TV speakers or TVs 'audio out' to a Pioneer stereo. My Premiere + (version 8.1.0 build 4159-29) works perfectly and does not have any sound problems. This Sony TV / Premiere + gets several hours of use every day. I use Ethernet cables for Premiere + and Roku 2 (4210), and both work perfect , with no sound problems.
0 Kudos
paulgp602
Level 7

We also have the 4630X running build 8.1.0 v4159-29 and the audio problem comes and goes. I'd say ours happens at random. Sometimes its every day, other times it takes a week to act up. I have isolated it to the Roku player. Its not Sling, not the HDMI cable, Not my TV, and not the input I am using on the TV. The audio problem follows the Roku player during my troubleshooting process. The Roku has been without this audio issue prior to upgrading to this latest build. We also have a 4200x Roku 3 running build 8.1.0  v4145-04 and it never has this audio bug. Please fix this Roku, its annoying.

The setup is:
Wireless->Roku Player->HDMI cable->Samsung Smart TV HDMI input 1
0 Kudos
willyum4u
Level 7

Same problem here. WTF has ROKU cut support? Cheap bastards. Might be time to check another option to yet another company cutting corners. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
willyum4u
Level 7

I've sent a request, with a link to this page, to customersupport@roku.com . Maybe someone will actually take up this issue. If not, I'll be looking at Amason Fire or whatever it is they have.
0 Kudos
skv1899
Level 7

I'm having the exact same problem with my roku premiere. I even wiped it and started over but now it's doing it again. It's super frustrating. I've only owned it a year.
0 Kudos