Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimdriver2
Level 8

Roku Premiere - 4K not detected on Netflix

I'm having an issue with Netflix detecting my TV as being able to display 4K HDR. If the Roku Display option is in auto-detect then Netflix will only display things in HD. This is despite the inbuilt Samsung Netflix app being capable of 4K.

If I put the Roku Premiere into Display/Auto Detect mode it only comes back that it's 40K 30hz capable. If I force it into 4K HDR 60hz then the display will work fine. Netflix will then display relevant titles as being 4K and HDR and will output then as such. However I found each time I start the TV up the Roku by will by default reset back to auto-detect and so downgrade the display to 4K at 30hz. 

Fortunately I was able to use the info on this page to disable auto recovery and that stops the auto-detect from being reapplied. 

I'd rather not leave it in that mode however, feels a tad risky so I was hoping there might be a fix or if at least Roku were aware of this issue!

Other relevant facts are:

• The Roku is first connected to a brand new Pioneer VSX-934 receiver. It is capable of passing on 4K at 60hz
  • The HDMI cables are all HDCP2.2 compatible
  • I've enabled UHD on each of the HDMI ports on the TV
  • The TV is a Samsung KS7000 - 2016 model
  • The inbuilt Smart TV Netflix and Prime apps output 4K fine
  • The new inbuilt Disney+ app did not detect the TV as being 4K compatible (maybe like the Roku doesn't) and as such only offered HD. That was why I bought the Roku Premiere
  • Strangely the Disney+ Roku app detects the TV as being 4K regardless if it's in display auto-detect mode

Can anyone (hopefully a Roku support person) shed any light on what's happening? To me it seems like a software issue likely either caused by the Samsung TV firmware or the Roku software or a combination of both.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9\
boogernose
Level 18

Re: Roku Premiere - 4K not detected on Netflix

Try bypassing the Receiver and see what happens.

I'm pretty sure your problem is there.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
jimdriver2
Level 8

Thanks @boogernose that pushed me in the right direction to do some more testing.

You were essentially correct, but I don't think Roku is entirely off the hook.

Plugging directly into the TV got it recognising the TV as capable of 4K HDR @ 60hz. The problem I then faced is that I've discovered the KS7000 does not support passthrough on its ARC channel. That's resulting in all the lovely 5.1 DD tracks etc being down mixed into horrible 2.0.

So I've gone back to forcing the Roku to output 4K HDR @ 60hz. The receiver can pass that on, the TV can receive it and display it.

It's just annoying that the Roku doesn't seem to be able to detect through the AV Receiver what the TV is capable of. I guess that's either Samsung's, Pioneer's or Roku's fault depending on who's not doing what they should be when they pass on capabilities through the cables.

Anyone got any idea as then I can highlight that to the relevant company, and hopefully they could resolve it by a firmware update.

kamsamji
Level 7

Hi, i wonder if you can help me. I have just bought the VSX-934 but I am having trouble connecting the Roku stick. when I plug it directly to the TV, It works fine with the Amp switching to "TV".

But if I plug the Roku to the Amp into the "STRM BOX" input and use the rear UB to power it - no signal appears on the STRM BOX input - just the blue screen as though there is no signal.

I'm not sure what the problem can be.

How have you got it connected?

Many thanks Kam

0 Kudos
jimdriver2
Level 8

The main key difference I can see there is that I powered the Roku via the power block provided with it, e.g. USB cable into that. I'd be surprised if that's it but it possibly could - maybe the receiver doesn't give enough power to the Premiere. Unlikely but worth trying.

When you plug the Roku directly into STRM BOX I did find there is a bit of a delay between the receiver checking the feed/video from the Roku and then sending it to the TV. That did once (when I was hot swapping some USB cables) cause my TV to get confused and have it think the receiver wasn't sending a picture and then it didn't try to get one... 

I can confirm you can connect the Roku via the receiver though. My problem (in my first post) appears to be due to HDMI cables. I'm waiting on a new cable to check but I believe the issue is that I used the Roku supplied HDMI cable to connect to the receiver but then just a HDMI 2.0 cable to connect from receiver to TV. I believe you need a HDMI 2.0b cable to get it to send HDR @ 60hz and that was why the auto detect did not work.

Also I'll point out I did eventually just buy an Amazon Fire Stick 4K and that's a much nicer experience. Reviews online state that it supports higher standards of HDR and audio than the Roku Premiere does. It lacks the NowTV app though.

If you still struggle post back on here and I'll see if I can help.

0 Kudos
kamsamji
Level 7

thast great thanks. I have the Streaming Stick + so just plus directly into the HDMI slot and the USB micro has the IR dongle attached to it, so I'll struggle to extend that without buying - but the "power" was the only thing I could think of too - However, when plugged directly into the (old) LG Tv, I use the USB slot on the tv too.

Pity as I like the amp and would prefer it all to be via the amp (helps with my OCD!!)

(Once that's sorted, it's onto the Chromecast! :-) )

0 Kudos
jimdriver2
Level 8

No probs. 

Keep in mind if you're putting the Premiere into your TV and then having the TV send the audio into your receiver then it will be using ARC and it's therefore possible it's only sending out a stereo signal. That's what happened in mine because my TV (Samsung KS7000 from 2016) doesn't have the ability to pass through the of other devices via ARC. Newer TV's do I think but you'll need to check yours. Also ARC is only capable of sending Dolby Digital out, not DD+ which the Roku can do. Basically you're not getting decent audio if you don't plug the Roku into the receiver and therefore kind of wasting having it.

0 Kudos
kamsamji
Level 7

i'll, try hooking it up to a mains plug and see if that works. Other than that, I am lost as to what to do.

0 Kudos
jimdriver2
Level 8

Your hdmi cables could be the issue. The Roku sends out HDR and that needs HDMI 2.0b for that, both from Roku to receiver (use the Roku cable) and receiver to TV. Unfortunately there is no way to tell what standard a HDMI cable is, you just have to make sure you buy the right one.

0 Kudos
kamsamji
Level 7

Sorted - it was a power issue. Used the mains plug that came with the Roku Stick - luckily it's a dongle so I don't have the HDMI cable issue.

Howev, er I have noticed now a similar issue to what you face. On searching for Atmos titles, it turns out Irishman is one of them - but when choosing that on Netflix via Roku, Netflix only gives me the option for 5.1.  (on my Oneplus 7Pro mobile it offers HDR). Not sure how to get it to offer Atmos - I really want to try the receiver/Roku with atoms (even Disney plus is only offering Stereo as standard on everything)

0 Kudos