Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michelle3
Level 12

Roku Pluto TV aspect ratio issue

Jump to solution

I have a 2018 Roku Express+ and the model number is 3910RW, and I have it connected to a 16:9 LCD TV via RCA in the guest room. Yesterday, when I set my Roku to “4:3 standard” via Settings > Display type, I noticed something a scam about Pluto TV. 16:9 channels display properly letterboxed, but 4:3 channels contain windowbox bars at the top, bottom, left and right sides, and that is acting like they’re pillarboxed to 16:9, then letterboxed to 4:3. It knows that it is filled to 16:9, then letterboxed to 4:3 when 16:9 channels are played, but when 4:3 channels are played, it thinks it’s pillarboxed to 16:9, then letterboxed to 4:3?

Does anyone have a solution to this issue? On the Roku itself, changing the aspect ratio via Settings > Display type to “16:9 widescreen” vertically stretches from 16:9 signal to 4:3 output, unfortunately, nor is it possible.

This issue occurs on my Nintendo Wii U, too, when watching 4:3 content on streaming apps, but the reason why they’re windowboxed by the Nintendo Wii U is because its main menu unfortunately seems to only support 16:9, so 16:9 signal from it will probably be letterboxed to 4:3 output when the aspect ratio is set to 4:3. Must be fixed on the Pluto TV Roku app soon.

Thanks for any responses!

~Jordan

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michelle3
Level 12

Re: Roku Pluto TV aspect ratio issue

Jump to solution

Okay, I think that Roku fixed this issue, if they did, thanks!

~Jordan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Michelle3
Level 12

Re: Roku Pluto TV aspect ratio issue

Jump to solution

Okay, I think that Roku fixed this issue, if they did, thanks!

~Jordan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos