Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
turtlejay
Level 9

Roku!! Please fix audio sync issues!

Hello,

Counting TVs, I have 6 different rokus (roki?) throughout the house. Almost 20 in the family. Over the holidays we replaced quite a few of them with Roku Ultras. Well, over the course of the last two months after updating the software, ALL of them drift in and out of audio sync. At first I thought it was a Plex issue but after digging around here and multiple other places (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube) it is most definitely a Roku problem . I have resorted to disconnecting the Ultras and going back to old hardware and blocking them from updating. Guess what? ZERO audio issues. We have invested 100s of dollars, bordering on 1000. Please fix this.

Jason
19 Replies
Tajson
Level 8

Re: Roku!! Please fix audio sync issues!

"turtlejay" wrote:
Well, over the course of the last two months after updating the software, ALL of them drift in and out of audio sync. At first I thought it was a Plex issue but after digging around here and multiple other places (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube) it is most definitely a Roku problem . I have resorted to disconnecting the Ultras and going back to old hardware and blocking them from updating. Guess what? ZERO audio issues. We have invested 100s of dollars, bordering on 1000. Please fix this.

I would say it is a network latency issue which you should fix first.

Secondly, here are some key data from Roku's FY 2018:
•Total net revenue grew 45% YoY to $742.5 million;
•Platform revenue increased 85% YoY to $416.9 million;
•Gross profit was up 66% YoY to $332.1 million;
0 Kudos
turtlejay
Level 9

This is not a network issue as I was able to fix the issue by using older equipment not updated as well as the fact that a reboot fixes the issue temporarily. It's a software issue. Roku needs to patch the software. The devs at Plex have concluded the same. When an issue plagues every app on a platform it's not a single app's issue. A search in this forum, Reddit and elsewhere reveals others with the Ultra having the exact same problem, for example:

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=138852#p625716

Also, I'm not sure what their fiscal success has to do with my issue.
DBDukes
Level 10

"turtlejay" wrote:
..,When an issue plagues every app on a platform it's not a single app's issue...

My Roku Ultra has no such issue. I wonder what I’m doing wrong.

I suspect you have an issue with other equipment. You didn’t list what all is in your setup. My guess is your Roku is plugged into a sound system and not directly into a TV. That’s not to say you’re doing it wrong. That is to say you aren’t providing full info about your setup and reaching conclusions based on partial info.

Your blocking older devices from updating would seem to me to point to software not hardware. So saying it’s an Ultra issue seems wrong. If it’s an issue there, that would point to software. And, if you have an AVR or such, it would indicate an issue with that particular setup.

If you truly want to solve it, provide good and complete info and those with knowledge and experience with similar setups may be able to help. If you just wanna b****, mission accomplished.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
turtlejay
Level 9

"turtlejay: This is not a network issue as I was able to fix the issue by using older equipment not updated as well as the fact that a reboot fixes the issue temporarily. It's a software issue. "

Ok so three things:

1. the ultra is directly connected to the tv

2. i already deduced that its software and not hardware, thats why im asking roku to look into it. 

3. Im very experienced in audio/video setups and wouldnt ask in such a place if i wasnt at a loss.

A google search of Roku Ultra audio sync brings up a myriad of topics across multiple forums. I find it hard to believe that the software updates are the same for the TCL Tvs (which dont have a problem) or the roku sticks (which dont have a problem). And i have no issues goin back to the premiere plus that hasnt updated in 3 or 4 months because it was in the closet. Im glad you guys aren't having the trouble but i and others are. 

I appreciate the response and sorry if i was unclear. Very frustrated.
Tajson
Level 8

"turtlejay" wrote:
[...]I have 6 different rokus (roki?) [...] 20 in the family. [...] replaced quite a few of them with Roku Ultras. [...] We have invested 100s of dollars, bordering on 1000. Please fix this.

turtlejay:
Also, I'm not sure what their fiscal success has to do with my issue.

When you provide no technical information about the issue and are all ranting about number of units and dollars "invested" then all I can say is that Roku is doing well.

Secondly, if you have diagnosed already then you just need to provide reproducible steps to Roku and the issue will be fixed.

Lastly, there are plenty of people like me that have no audio sync issue with Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, or local streaming so if you want help to resolve the issue then help us understanding by giving us more detailed information.
DBDukes already covered that.
turtlejay
Level 9

the only steps to reproduce are:

1. load channel (doesnt matter what channel)
2. watch video
3. video and audio go out of sync
4. reboot
5. everythings great
6. audio video out of sync again.

ultras have latest firmware, or at least when i hit update it says theres nothing new.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/9hs9r5/audio_sync_issue_with_amazon_video_on_my_roku/

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=143065&p=643801&hilit=ultra+sync#p643801

not trying to pick a fight here, but im not alone.
StreamerUser
Level 8

"turtlejay" wrote:

2. watch video
4. reboot
5. everythings great
6. audio video out of sync again.

ultras have latest firmware, or at least when i hit update it says theres nothing new.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/9hs9r5/audio_sync_issue_with_amazon_video_on_my_roku/

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=143065&p=643801&hilit=ultra+sync#p643801

7 posts in, and you still haven't listed your Ultra models #s and firmware versions/builds, your TV brands/models/firmware versions or AVR brands/models/firmware versions.
6 different setups, none of which you have specified or enumerated.
At the very least, you might want to contact Roku support more directly, perhaps even with specified equipment/versions etc:
https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options
Tell them every specific setup config, tell them the same audio sync affects each one, let them research further - give them as much information as possible and let them get back to you.
0 Kudos
turtlejay
Level 9

I've already reached out to "customer support". I posted here to add my name to the group who have noticed an issue specifically with these devices regardless of the model, tv model, or if it's connected directly or not. I've pm'ed the Roku employee here in the forums and if/when I hear back I will give him every little technical piece of info necessary. I didn't ask anyone that doesn't work for Roku for their help. I specifically asked Roku for help. Every response to my post has been combative ,and/or sarcastic, ignoring parts of the post to point out the shortcoming of others. I find it unnecessary. I wasnt even aware that the Ultras have different model numbers but now that i know I'll be more specific in my dealings with Tanner. Also, for the record I haven't bashed Roku or said I had a bunch of devices because im threatening leaving, I was pointing out I have plenty of experience with the platform. I'm glad the profit margins are awesome.
DBDukes
Level 10

"turtlejay" wrote:
1. the ultra is directly connected to the tv

Thanks. That's very helpful. And, that would make replicating the issue easy, as I have a Roku Ultra connected directly to a TV. So, assuming the same firmware and build, if it's the software alone that is the issue, then I should experience the same issue. A troubleshooter's dream.
"turtlejay" wrote:

2. watch video

Unable to replicate. Unable to confirm issue.

1. I launched ShoutFactory app.
2. I watched an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000. Hour and a half long.
3. No audio issues.

So, something's different. The thing is, what's different. We need to figure that out.
"turtlejay" wrote:

And there's a problem. What you might not be aware of is that not every device is necessarily running the same software. For example, if there's an issue stopping your device from updating, you'd have an older version or build. That's why we asked for your firmware and build. Saying you have the latest is meaningless. Saying exactly what software and build you have is helpful. I thought I asked for it, but I don't see that I did. My error. However, others did. I don't see where you provided that, just "latest." Don't say "latest." Say exactly what it is. Now, it may turn out you do have the latest, but without knowing exactly what you have, we can't determine if something is messing with your software updates, which could cause any number of problems, including some not yet discovered.
"turtlejay" wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/ ... n_my_roku/

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... nc#p643801

We get it. Something is wrong and it's causing problems and frustration. If it was happening to me, I'd be frustrated too. But it's not. And, it's not happening for a lot of people. So, something else is going on, and we haven't yet discovered what it is.
"turtlejay" wrote:
...I didn't ask anyone that doesn't work for Roku for their help. I specifically asked Roku for help...

Point taken. To quote the preacher from Blazing Saddles,
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos