Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 11

Roku Player incorrectly outputs 24hz for 23.976fps content

When the match refresh option is on, Roku players that support the feature will force 24hz even when the content is 23.976fps which causes a stutter every 40 seconds or so. This completely defeats the purpose of the feature.

Roku needs to adjust the output correctly for both 24fps and 23.976fps content.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Roku Player incorrectly outputs 24hz for 23.976fps content

I've never been able to successfully use the frame rate matching. When watching MPEG-2 video from DVD rips, I experience noticeable motion stuttering every few seconds. I just checked one of those videos, and I see the frame rate is 23.976 as well, so that's likely the issue. I just leave frame rate matching off, and my TVs handle the frame rate smoothly.

I agree it's something that Roku should address. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

@Bacon wrote:

When the match refresh option is on, Roku players that support the feature will force 24hz even when the content is 23.976fps which causes a stutter every 40 seconds or so. This completely defeats the purpose of the feature.

You're confusing the output refresh rate (Hz) with source material framerate (fps). If what you say were true, then the 60 Hz refresh rate should be 59.94 to match the 29.97 fps video. Your TV isn't actually refreshing at only 24 Hz, either. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

@atc98092 wrote:

I've never been able to successfully use the frame rate matching. When watching MPEG-2 video from DVD rips, I experience noticeable motion stuttering every few seconds. I just checked one of those videos, and I see the frame rate is 23.976 as well, so that's likely the issue. I just leave frame rate matching off, and my TVs handle the frame rate smoothly.

Ridiculous. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@BarneyF wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

Ridiculous. 

In what way?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

@BarneyF wrote:

@Bacon wrote:

You're confusing the output refresh rate (Hz) with source material framerate (fps). If what you say were true, then the 60 Hz refresh rate should be 59.94 to match the 29.97 fps video. Your TV isn't actually refreshing at only 24 Hz, either. 

Most devices are actually outputting 59.94hz (but will round and say 60hz). I haven't tested what Roku is doing on it's default setting, but my Nvidia Shield TV does output at 59.94hz at default (there is an option for a flat 60hz too).

Roku is definitely outputting a flat 24hz when it shouldn't be though. That's been tested and verified.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Bump

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

RMP is undergoing a revamp after the original 5.0 rollout had issues. (understatement). I can't say if this is something that is being addressed at this time, but I would guess that it's not the highest priority right now.

If you aren't already, I suggest contacting @RokuChris and request to participate in the beta group. The nice thing about beta testing RMP is that it doesn't replace the existing version, so if there's a problem you still have what works now to use. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

This is an OS problem for all Roku players, not exclusive to the roku media player channel. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

True, but working on RMP beta, you have a direct contact with one of their developers. Might be able to get more traction from there. Smiley Very Happy

Dan
0 Kudos