Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Florida33435
Binge Watcher

Roku Not Streaming Any Video

Roku Premier occasionally (every few months) won’t stream video, only music channels. Now it won’t stream video at all. My wifi signal is strong and all my Roku channels are displayed. I can play Pandora or Spotify and see my music pictures and never lose it. I try to watch my Xfinity Streaming app, Tubi or Youtube, etc. and connection seems too slow/weak, it tries to play but won’t or plays a video or tv station for a few seconds and loses it. Xfinity says not their problem. I’m going crazy. I don’t want to buy a new Roku or device if this won’t fix it. Please help.   

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Not Streaming Any Video

How far is your router and or modem from your Roku? Have you tried the 2.4GHz and the 5.0GHz? You say the signal says strong but do a connection check what does it say for speed? You should have at least 25 Mbps. Have you ever tried restarting Roku and modem? If your Roku device is losing signal it’s because your signal is not strong enough. Just like when your cell phone reception because you’re too far away from the tower Also what Internet speed are you paying for on Xfinity?

Florida33435
Binge Watcher

I rent Xfinity’s modem and it’s about 20 ft. from my Roku. I wanted to switch to 5.0Ghz, but Xfinity said not necessary. They said I’m set to automatically use best channels, whether 2.4 or 5. I’m paying for up to 100 speed. Just tested and download is 118 and upload 12. I’ve restarted, reinstalled, rebooted and unplugged everything many times this week. No luck. I just tried to check connection speed and I get the Roku box that’s checking my wireless connection and Internet connection. Right now, it won’t connect to wireless at all, although it was working on wifi earlier today. I’ll go look later, and I’ll see that it’s connected on its own and wifi is working, but no streaming. I appreciate any help. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

I do not need a speed test from any other device except the Roku. If you download the xFinity app (not account app) to your phone you can change your modem settings. But only 20’ away you should not be having any issues unless the Roku is behind a brick or concrete wall. From 20’ away you can use either 2.4 or 5.0

Florida33435
Binge Watcher

Thanks. Modem is not behind anything. I just tried to check connectivity and see that Roku connected to Internet itself since last message. So I go to “set up connection” to find speed and see that once again, it says it can’t connect to wireless network and it’s lost its wifi connection. Also, I was always able to stream from iPad to this tv with Roku, now that doesn’t work either since this last incidence. I found out that Roku Premiere doesn’t work on 5.0, but I’ve used this Roku 2 years no issues. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

You need to switch to the 2.4. This can be done. Especially if you have a newer gateway. The skinny square one. Looks like a pyramid. My COX one is like that. A recent firmware update could have knocked it out. But it’s not a Roku issue. I split my Cox gateway to 2.4 and 5.0. Download the app. Also look on the modem. What’s the make and model?

Florida33435
Binge Watcher

Thanks again. I’ll try tomorrow. I’ve got a tall square modem and I use the X1 Xfinity app. Tried to change to 2.4 earlier, but it got confusing with channel numbers. I’ll try tomorrow when I’m not so tired. Looks like I watch my programs on my iPad on my lap tonight 😞   Enjoy your night. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Both the 2.4 abc 5.0 will have the same password. So simple make a different password for each. That’s all I did. Takes 1 minute. 

Florida33435
Binge Watcher

Thanks. Still didn’t work. Ended up buying a new Roku Steaming Stick 4K. Works perfectly and much faster. I appreciate all your help. 

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Didn’t really solve the issue but I’m glad it worked out for you. The Roku you used to have didn’t support dual band Wi-Fi. The newer devices do. Or if you had one of the cheaper model Roku‘s. But you should have full control of your Xfinity gateway. Did you make a separate password for each network? So your Roku Should be able to connect to the 2.4 or 5.0 know when you’re done. Look at the pic 

4657182D-F6A6-42D5-8F5D-484EBED3EDD4.jpeg