Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikolajek
Level 7

Roku Media Player - all videos with 320 x ... resolution

Suddenly my Roku Media Player has started to display all video files with the maximum 320 width resolution (and accompanying height). It uses my Plex library and Plex displays all files with their correct resolutions. I can't find any option in RMP that could change it and restarting / updating Plex wouldn't help either. Can anyone help with this?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RokuDale
Level 8

Re: Roku Media Player - all videos with 320 x ... resolution

Sorry you are having problem with the video playback and Plex.
Are these being direct played or are they getting transcoded?
Nothing has changed in RMP in quite some time. Presuming you did not change the "USERAGENT" on RMP from default for Plex, the only other things that could have changed are the plex server or maybe the Roku firmware.
Have you tried playing the same video using a USB drive or a different DLNA server on that Roku? Do you have more than one Roku and could try the video on a different Roku?
rokudale
0 Kudos
mikolajek
Level 7

It's a direct play, no processing at all. Nothing has been changed in the configuration of the library (nor Plex itself), this "downsample" just happened one day and remained so.
I created a brand new videos library in Plex, but it suffers from the same issue. My movies library has been also affected. 

It looks the issue is linked to Plex. I've installed Twonky and all videos and movies are played in their correct resolutions. However I don't want to use two media servers on my NAS, and Plex is way faster than Twonky. So I'm looking for a way to resolve the issue with Plex.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

What kind of files are these? What container is being reported on the video detail screen? I suspect your plex server is transcoding as the Roku won't down sample the video
0 Kudos
mikolajek
Level 7

Those are mostly mp4 files. I'm not sure if I got the container info right, but the details say VND.DLNA.MPEG-TTS.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

VND...TTS means its being transcoded. Actually VND...anything usually means transcoding.
0 Kudos
mikolajek
Level 7

Well, after browsing all Plex options it looks you're right!

For some reason the Plex DLNA settings were auto-modified (I guess...) to decrease the resolution to 320x240 in all modes. I have no idea when, how and why it happened. I can only guess that Plex had a difficult day to reach my home network and set those values. I have no clue however, why they haven't been restored back when the supposed network issue was gone.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Glad you got it working.
rokudale
0 Kudos