Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Roku Media Player Not Working

I just purchased a new Roku Ultra (4800R) from Roku and ran the set up without issue.  However, the Roku Media Player (Version 5.4 Build 4) does not recognize an external USB drive (formatted NTFS)  nor any of the MP4 files contained therein.  The drive and the files worked perfectly fine on the older model Roku Ultra (4660X2) using Roku Media Player (Version 5.4 Build 4).  Is this a configuration issue on the newer model Roku, a defective Roku Media Player, or a defective Roku Ultra?

32 Replies
duggle
Level 7

Re: Roku Media Player Not Working

I have the exact same issue.  Same models.  Our 4660 still works fine, recognizes 2 different drives I have with mp4s on it.  I bought the 4800, at Best Buy, could not get it to recognize the drives.  I returned it, and bought another, same problem. I am going to return it, that was the primary reason I bought the second one.  I hope this issue can be resolved.

0 Kudos
siamhie
Level 8

Same issue here. Doesn't matter if the USB is formatted to FAT32 or NTFS. It see's the file but when I go to play, the load progress gets about a third of the way before the USB gets disconnected from the player with an error can't connect to ext1.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Purchased the device directly from Roku. Returned the defective device to Roku for replacement.  This was done at MY expense.  UNFAIR!  Second, is there a guarantee the replacement will work with Roku Media Player as advertised/designed?  If not will I have to pay postage to return another defective device?  Roku -- please address!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

For issues with RMP, I suggest a private message to @RokuChris , as he's the lead for RMP. 

There should be no issue with files working on one Roku device but not another. I use RMP extensively, but I don't connect the drive to the Roku. I instead use a DLNA server on a Windows PC. This has a couple of advantages. First, it makes the media available to other devices on your network. If you only have one TV, then that's a moot point. The other advantage is not needing the media to be in a supported format for the Roku player. I can watch media that the Roku doesn't support because the server either transmuxes the audio and video into a supported container or transcodes the video and/or audio if they are unsupported.

One example is VC-1 video. It's used often as the video codec on Blu Ray discs, and Roku doesn't support it.  So a ripped VC-1 movie won't even appear in RMP. But my server transcodes the video into H.264 which Is supported. Or perhaps some old recorded TV shows from a Windows Media Center PC. They are in the WTV container, which Roku doesn't support. But the video is MPEG2 and the audio is AC3, both of which Roku supports. So a simple remux into a supported container and I watch the media.

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
NTC
Level 10

RMP works for me plugging in a USB drive formatted NTFS or FAT. I have multiple mp4 files and even the ones encoded in HEVC/AC4 plays fine. So do my MKV and my TS files (with caveats), even though Roku doesn't show TS as a supported container.

The problems I have (even after update to 9.4.1-4200) are: RMP will not play mpg files with mpeg2/AC3, it won't even load although it is one of the oldest containers out there. Will not play ts files with HEVC/AC4, however it works in mp4 container. RMP will not play next audio file in playlist after 2 minutes the screensaver starts. Must disable screensaver when playing audio for unintrrupted playback. Cannot change audio track in MKV files if DTS is set as default audio. Also, when there is 2 tracks, the default being DD, and 2nd audio is DTS, to switch to DTS, you press the option button (*) go down to audio track, and you have press the left arrow to change audio to DTS (going right does nothing). Doesn't passthrough anamorphic/non-anamorphic mpeg, with resolutions below 720p properly to TV, regardless of container. I'm sure there's other quirks I haven't found yet.

I found that these issues happen whether by plugged-in USB or streaming via DLNA protocol.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@NTC wrote:

RMP works for me plugging in a USB drive formatted NTFS or FAT. I have multiple mp4 files and even the ones encoded in HEVC/AC4 plays fine. So do my MKV and my TS files (with caveats), even though Roku doesn't show TS as a supported container.

The problems I have (even after update to 9.4.1-4200) are: RMP will not play mpg files with mpeg2/AC3, it won't even load although it is one of the oldest containers out there. Will not play ts files with HEVC/AC4, however it works in mp4 container. RMP will not play next audio file in playlist after 2 minutes the screensaver starts. Must disable screensaver when playing audio for unintrrupted playback. Cannot change audio track in MKV files if DTS is set as default audio. Also, when there is 2 tracks, the default being DD, and 2nd audio is DTS, to switch to DTS, you press the option button (*) go down to audio track, and you have press the left arrow to change audio to DTS (going right does nothing). Doesn't passthrough anamorphic/non-anamorphic mpeg, with resolutions below 720p properly to TV, regardless of container. I'm sure there's other quirks I haven't found yet.

I found that these issues happen whether by plugged-in USB or streaming via DLNA protocol.

MPEG-2 is a supported video codec on Roku TVs and Roku players newer than roughly 2016-17. The .MPG container is unsupported and likely always will be. That's where a DLNA server performs a fast remux into the TS or HLS streaming format. Don't confuse containers and codecs. Roku only supports a small number of containers: for videos they are MKV, TS/M2TS, MOV, MP4. Yes, TS is undocumented, but works just fine. 

This page provides more detail about supported containers and codecs, along with some guidance for DTS and AAC audio codecs. Depending on what you're using to process your audio, DTS works well. But if you're only using the TV for audio, DTS most likely won't provide any audio.

Roku welcomes users willing to assist testing new versions of RMP. The great thing about this testing is that it doesn't replace the public version with the beta. They are two separate channels on your Roku, so if something really goes sideways with the beta you still have the functional public version. If you'd like to assist, send @RokuChris a private message and he'll get you started. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
NTC
Level 10

@atc98092 wrote:

MPEG-2 is a supported video codec on Roku TVs and Roku players newer than roughly 2016-17. The .MPG container is unsupported and likely always will be. That's where a DLNA server performs a fast remux into the TS or HLS streaming format. Don't confuse containers and codecs. Roku only supports a small number of containers: for videos they are MKV, TS/M2TS, MOV, MP4. Yes, TS is undocumented, but works just fine. 

This page provides more detail about supported containers and codecs, along with some guidance for DTS and AAC audio codecs. Depending on what you're using to process your audio, DTS works well. But if you're only using the TV for audio, DTS most likely won't provide any audio.

Roku welcomes users willing to assist testing new versions of RMP. The great thing about this testing is that it doesn't replace the public version with the beta. They are two separate channels on your Roku, so if something really goes sideways with the beta you still have the functional public version. If you'd like to assist, send @RokuChris a private message and he'll get you started. 

I am aware that RMP provides no revenue for Roku and support for improvement would not be a high priority. However, the lack of file extensions supported is problematic for those who are wishing to play their media library, whether by streaming or directly connecting a hard drive, and I find not even supporting the mpg extension, a ubiquitous legacy extension, a shortcoming of RMP. My 3 other DLNA renderer in the TVs that I own (each a different brand) fully support and properly display these mpg and VOB files.

As for DTS, I can play the DTS soundtrack in a video file. Never stated otherwise. I was merely pointing out the issues specific to RMP when trying to select an audio track in a video file that has 2 or more soundtracks in the movie, one when DTS is flagged as default audio, and the other when DTS is not the default yet available.

I may reach out to @RokuChris time permitting. But right now I have to fix a HDCP problem that just started on the Roku this morning. Getting audio but no video on everything I attempt to play (channels, streaming, USB). This has not happened before. I will try a restart, but having to unplug or restart Roku for various unrelated problems is getting annoying in the 3 weeks I have owned the Roku Ultra. I am using the HDMI cable provided by Roku, may swap it with another ultra certified cable.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

I will mention that the previous RMP developer advised me that RMP is merely the front end UI, and that all playback functionality (codec and container support) is part of the Roku OS, and not something they can alter via RMP itself. So adding codec and container support is not something that RMP itself can provide. 

Dan
duggle
Level 7

DLNA works fine, but a USB hard drive is not being recognized on the model 4800R, the same hard drive and movies work fine when plugged into model 4660.  Same account - there appears to be a bug affecting the 4800R.

0 Kudos