Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Roku Keeps Returning to Home Screen

I have been having issues with the Roku returning to the home screen every 30 minutes. I am usually in the middle of streaming when it happens. It doesn’t matter which channel it is or how strong the network connection is either. Today, it started doing it about every two minutes. Any suggestions?

16 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Keeps Returning to Home Screen

I'm having the same issue with my streaming stick. I've changed screen saver settings, display settings, any possible setting I find and went through a factory reset with no change. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Having the same issue. Not sure how to fix this.

Highlighted
Level 8

Roku Ultra 4670x keeps doing the same thing.  Doesn’t matter which channel or sling, Netflix, crackle, it goes to home screen after about 15 seconds.  It initially started this a months or so ago, after a couple hours it would jump to the home screen.  Now it’s only 15 seconds before it goes to the home screen.  I rebooted the unit multiple times, turned off the bandwidth saver, etc.  Nothing works. I have searched the threads and apparently Roku doesn’t know how to fix their own hardware.  It is unusable at this point.

Roku Player 4670x Ultra

software 9.3.0 Build 4170-46 (up to date)

Highlighted
Level 8

Update:

I installed my old Roku 4200x - Roku 3.  I updated the old software from 9.2.0, which had no issues, to the 9.3.0 Build 4170-04.  And now it resets to the home screen after approx 30 seconds!!!  So both of my Roku players do the same thing.  Getting out my Amazon firestick so I can watch TV!

Highlighted
Level 7

I had the same thing yesterday.  Solved it then by a reboot of the Roku device.  Other issues with the same device is that it randomly starts going black for about 3 seconds then displays fine for several seconds. This "blinking" apparently can be solved by a reboot.  This second issue has been going on for months.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Multiple reboots did not help either of my Roku devices.  Rebooting through the menu, pulling the power plug, or using the button on top of the ultra.  Nothing seems to work with the returning to home screen issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

EXACT same problem as me! I also had it reverting at every 30 minutes, then (I believe it must have been after I updated firmware) it now does it every 3 minutes. So, you probably updated to the latest garbage Roku firmware, and now your Roku is unusable.

Come on Roku. Take this seriously.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with the following information so we can get a better understanding of what you are experiencing:
-Roku model number
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-when does this is occur? what are you doing when this happens?
-does this issue occur on a specific channel or does it happen on all channels?
-please provide a tracker ID the next time this issue happens (after the issue occurs, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

With more information we will be able to look further into the issue and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Model-3930x- Roku express

SN-X00400SVFA4K

Tracker ID- 4K-294-796

Software Version 9.3.0 build 4170-AE

Device ID-S008203VFA4K

Every time I use Hulu or Locast my Roku kicks me to the home screen after about 4 minutes. This only happens on 1 of my Roku devices, the others work fine.