My Roku is only a few months old and extremely frustrated with it. We will be watching something then the show will pause out of nowhere, start it back up, few mins later pause again. Sometimes it happens 4 or 5 times during a show. Also we will be watching a show and the Roku will just send it to the Roku home screen. Not sure what is going on with this device. This is our 4th Roku device and never had any issues like this before. Hopefully I can get some help & answers..
@SueAnn Thanks for the note here. There could be a few things going on here. Do you see any error messages on screen when the pausing behavior occurs, or when you say the channel exits to the home screen?
A couple thoughts:
- It sounds like someone may either be using another Roku remote in the vicinity of, or with a line-of-sight to your player, causing their signals to be received by your device. (This may even occur through a window, or due to a reflective surface, if someone is using an IR based remote.)
- One of your previous Roku device's remotes may have become inadvertently paired to your new device. Are others using another Roku device nearby at the same time? Does that device have a wireless, point anywhere remote?
- Another possibility could be that someone is connected to your device using the Roku mobile app, and is controlling the functions.
A couple things I might recommend trying here:
1. When you start playing content, try covering up your Roku device, so that the front face of the player can't be seen. Does this allow a movie or title to play continuously?
2. In Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Control by mobile apps, disable 'Network access'. This will disable to ability for your device to be controlled via the Roku mobile app, etc.
Another possibility is that you are encountering a channel issue. Does this same behavior occur in a specific streaming channel? Does it also occur in other streaming channels?
This is the closest to what my device is doing. It freezes up quite often and seems to be doing it more frequently as time passes. I usually have to go back to the guide and re- select the program. Also when I go to the guide it defaults to the highest channel in my guide. What's going on?
@rcourington Thanks for the note. What specific streaming channel (app) are you using when you observe this behavior? Does the same behavior also occur in other streaming channels, such as 'The Roku Channel', YouTube, etc.?
If the issue continues to occur only in a specific channel, and not in others, you'll want to reach out to that channel provider directly to report the issue, and request additional help with their channel (app).
I have been having the same issue for about a week now. The ONLY channels that don't pause on their own or kick back to the menu screen are Netflix, Hulu, and CBS all access(which I have paid subscriptions for), ALL other channels whether they be free apps or apps that I have to sign in with a service provider won't let me watch a complete episode of anything. This is getting extremely frustrating, my tv is only a year and a half old and I really don't want(and can't afford) to replace it. Any suggestions would be helpful.
I'm having the completely OPPOSITE problem. Anytime I pause the show for a break, it won't stay paused. I'll leave the room to get something to eat or use the bathroom, I come back in and it's playing again. Have to constantly rewind. Very frustrating. Please let us know if you figure it out!
I’m having a similar issue, and I have disabled any kind of power saving setting and anything on that level but when I try and play like 7 hours worth of music, it pauses at 4 hrs and I have to play it again and it really gets on my nerves what should I do? I would like to play YouTube videos non-stop without any interruptions from the TV and not have to worry about pressing the play button again or any time limits of any sort