Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fredleonard
Level 7

Roku Keeps Freezing Up

Lately my Roku 2 has been freezing up and can only be unfrozen by unplugging it and plugging it back in. It happens (not all the time but frequently) when I go to the Roku from another source. I I push a button the remote to get past the screen saver and when I hit a navigation button to make a selection, the unit freezes. It won't respond to the remote or do anything. I does not reboot itself. I must be unplugged.
Anybody else seen this? Any ideas?
0 Kudos
17 Replies
dfgsrzwer
Level 8

Re: Roku Keeps Freezing Up

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=92678

Something you may want to try, as I do it it and never have had a lockup (model 3050):

Disable your screensaver, and when "idle" don't leave it on the Home screen but use the Settings screen instead. This may not work for you, but it costs nothing to try it.

And, unplugging an electronic device from time to time is not a bad idea anyway.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"fredleonard" wrote:
Lately my Roku 2 has been freezing up and can only be unfrozen by unplugging it and plugging it back in. It happens (not all the time but frequently) when I go to the Roku from another source. I I push a button the remote to get past the screen saver and when I hit a navigation button to make a selection, the unit freezes. It won't respond to the remote or do anything. I does not reboot itself. I must be unplugged.
Anybody else seen this? Any ideas?

There have been two different devices that went by the name "Roku 2." What one? Model 2720 or the current model 4210? They are very different devices.

There are also other older devices that included "Roku 2" in the name, such as Roku 2 HD, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 XS, and Roku 2 LT. Those are the ones referenced in the topic dfgsrzwer mentioned.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
fredleonard
Level 7

It's a Roku2 HD, Model 3000X.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"fredleonard" wrote:
It's a Roku2 HD, Model 3000X.

Okay, that makes things clearer.

The Roku 2 HD hasn't had as many reports as the Roku 2 XD or the Roku 2 XS, but with that line of devices, there have been reports similar to what you report. However, as the thread dfgsrzwer referenced indicated, it's not a universal issue.

Let's start by ruling out the usual suspects.

Have you ensured you only have the three base screensavers (Roku Analog Clock, Roku Digital Clock, Default screensaver) installed? Some screen savers, particularly screen savers that are installed when you are actually installing a channel, are unstable and can cause issues. If you have any other than the basic three, remove them. It doesn't matter if you have them selected for use or not. Remove them.

Have you confirmed you have software version 7.0 build 9044 installed? Although the software rolled out in December, some users have not received the update, or the update didn't fully install. Ensuring the latest version (v7.0 b9044) is installed has resolve the issues for some second-generation device users.

Have you tried turning off the menu sounds? While v7.0 b9044 has not solved everyone's issues (of those with the issues) turning off sounds has been a successful workaround for some.

These are all steps that have had varying degrees of success with the issues you're reporting.

While the Roku 2 (4210) is a much newer and advanced device than the Roku 2 HD (and the other second generation devices), your device should continue to perform. The issues you and others are encountering are something you shouldn't have to be dealing with. You may find others suggest that you upgrade your device. While the Roku 2 would be an excellent option, I personally don't see any reason to spend $70 when your Roku 2 HD should function properly.

Roku hasn't been able to consistently replicate the issues reported. I'm not with Roku, just a user like you, and I haven't been able to replicate the issues on either my Roku 2 XD or Roku 2 XS boxes. The inability to replicate the issues makes it difficult to fix the issues. I mean, how would the development and in-house testing group know if its fixed?

In the meantime, try those suggestions and see what happens.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
fredleonard
Level 7

dfgsrzwer: Thanks for your suggestion. System still froze after the first command from the remote.

Basil: Settings > Screensaver only shows the three "official" screensavers. Problem occurs with screensavers enabled or disabled.
System is running 7.0 b9044.
Menu volume was on. Have turned it and will see what happens.

The other thread mentioned problems with specific apps. Currently, I have Amazon, Hulu, Netflix and PBS installed. I've had them installed for some time, although I've tried others from time to time (and then uninstalled them). Several weeks ago I did do a factory reset.

Originally, I used the AV cables that came with the unit. Several months ago I switched to an HDMI cable. Any chance the issue could be connected?

Thanks for all the help.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"fredleonard" wrote:
...Settings > Screensaver only shows the three "official" screensavers. Problem occurs with screensavers enabled or disabled.
System is running 7.0 b9044.
Menu volume was on. Have turned it and will see what happens.

That may be our best option, based on all the information provided. There have been no additional steps provided (of which I'm aware) that have been helpful in that configuration.

As stated, I have that configuration, but aren't experiencing any such issues.
"fredleonard" wrote:
The other thread mentioned problems with specific apps. Currently, I have Amazon, Hulu, Netflix and PBS installed. I've had them installed for some time, although I've tried others from time to time (and then uninstalled them). Several weeks ago I did do a factory reset.

Those standard apps, all of which i have and use, and, as stated, aren't experiencing the issues. A further factory reset is unlikely to have any positive impact.
"fredleonard" wrote:
Originally, I used the AV cables that came with the unit. Several months ago I switched to an HDMI cable. Any chance the issue could be connected?...

I wouldn't think so, but I'm not aware of any testing done on that by anyone with the issue. However, if you want to test that and could deal with reverting to a 4:3 SD setup, I would be curious about that.

For now, best bet is turning off sounds on the menu. If that doesn't work, and you try the composite cable connections, let us know if it makes any difference.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
fredleonard
Level 7

Been a week and a day. Turned off menu sounds and the system has not frozen up (knock wood).

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Lstevens
Level 7

Amazing! Freezing was a daily problem for me. Now, have shut off menu sounds, and it's been stable for over a week!

Does anyone know WHY Menu Sounds enabled causes freezing? Are there plans to fix this?
0 Kudos
knuckle
Level 7

Hi,

Does anyone know WHY Menu Sounds enabled causes freezing? Are there plans to fix this?

As to why -- there is a bug in the software As for the fix -- of course,the next major update should address this
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos