Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kremlar
Level 7

Roku / Insignia / Intel HTPC HDMI issues

Hi -

Not sure if there's a solution to my problem, but wanted to post to see if anyone else has experienced this issue and perhaps to document it for others who might see this issue in the future.

I have a new Insignia 55" LED TV model # NS-55D420NA16. I also have an HTPC based on an Intel DH67GD motherboard. Both work great together with the HTPC outputting 1080p through HDMI. I added a Roku 3 to the system and am now having issues switching sources. Once I switch inputs to the Roku when I try switching back to the HTPC I will get a static screen that intermittently blanks out - like the TV is having issues syncing to the source. This happens very consistently. There are 3 ways to get the signal back:

1 - Power the TV off then back on. The HTPC will then display fine.
2 - Unplug the HTPC's HDMI cable and plug back in. The HTPC will then display fine.
3 - Unplug the Roku's HDMI cable, then switch sources to an empty input, then back to the HTPC - and the HTPC will display fine.

If I then switch back to the Roku and back to the HTPC the same issue will occur.

Here is what I have tried:
- Multiple different HDMI cables for both devices. Same issue.
- Swapped HDMI inputs on the TV. Doesn't matter which inputs I use, the same thing happens just as described.
- Returned the TV for a new one, thinking it may have been defective. Same issue.
- Swapped the HTPC for an HTPC running an Intel DH67CF motherboard (same chipset but different board). Same issue.
- Swapped the HTPC for an HTPC NUC model # D34010WYK which has Intel HD Graphics 4400. Same issue.
- Tried both the HTPC and Roku on a different model Insignia 55", model # NS-55D550NA15. Same issue.

- Swapped the Roku for an Xbox 360. The problem does not occur when switching between the Xbox and HTPC.
- Swapped the HTPC for an Xbox 360. The problem does not occur when switching between the Xbox and Roku.
- Tried the HTPC and Roku on a Samsung 22" LED TV and the problem does not occur.

So, I feel like I either have a defective Roku that is messing up the HDMI switching on my Insignia TVs under certain circumstances (unlikely), or I have found some kind of odd compatibility issue between Insignia TVs (2 different models), Roku 3, and Intel graphic chipsets (2 different models).

I am running the latest BIOS and drivers on my HTPCs, latest firmware on my Roku, and there is currently no firmware update for my Insignia TV.

I'm at a loss on what to try next. One option is to return the Roku. Maybe it's defective? Or go with a different player altogether.

Another option is to return the Insignia TV AGAIN and try a different brand, but that does not help if I want to add a Roku to my older Insignia TV.

Suggestions??

Thanks!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
dgrace
Level 10

Re: Roku / Insignia / Intel HTPC HDMI issues

Since it happens in both directions, going to htpc or roku, my bet is hdmi handshake issue with tv. Maybe poke around in its menu looking for a setting to toggle and try. Lots online to read about this behavior.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
Kremlar
Level 7

Hi -

Sorry if I wasn't clear. It only happens when going from Roku to HTPC. Once it occurs the HTPC will not sync back up until the TV is powered off, Roku HDMI is unplugged, or HTPC HDMI cable is unplugged and re-plugged.

One other note. This is less reproducible but the Roku display will sometimes show some HDMI "sparkling" and slight picture drops. Seems more likely to occur if I cause the HDMI sync issue to occur by switching inputs to the HTPC and back.

Spent lots of time toggling HTPC display options, different refresh rates, tried Roku at 720p, etc., with no luck.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 10

So, have you tried with tv fully booted up then the roku?
I have a Harmony remote and have the boot order and delays set. I get a on/off quick switch before everything is settled.
FZ
0 Kudos
theuser86
Level 7

Does your HTPC have a time set where the display will turn off? Say 10 minutes of idle?

Turn that setting off so the display is never turned off. It may help.
0 Kudos
Kremlar
Level 7

So, have you tried with tv fully booted up then the roku?
I have a Harmony remote and have the boot order and delays set. I get a on/off quick switch before everything is settled.

Yes, boot order does not seem to matter.

Does your HTPC have a time set where the display will turn off? Say 10 minutes of idle?
Turn that setting off so the display is never turned off. It may help.

No screensaver or sleep mode enabled. It happens if I switch sources instantly. I believe Windows does disconnect the display device when switched away however since it's HDMI.

So, since this post I purchased a Fire TV Stick and sure enough the same thing happens! Also, when the issue is occurring, if I hit the Live TV button on my HTPC's Windows Media Center remote to start streaming cable TV the snow goes away and the picture comes up fine.

I'm going to tackle this from the HTPC side instead. I have ANOTHER set of cables on order and a few other things to try. If they don't work I'm going to consider purchasing an HDMI Detective from Gefen which I hope will correct the issue.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 10

Trying the roku on another tv via hdmi may also rule out some culprits.
FZ
0 Kudos
Kremlar
Level 7

Trying the roku on another tv via hdmi may also rule out some culprits.

As indicated in my original post I had tried that.

I ended up putting in a Gefen HDMI Booster that I had lying around on the HTPC's HDMI output and the issue seems to be fixed. I don't think I really needed to boost the HDMI signal, but I think having a device on there altering the input must have helped.

I also ended up returning the Roku and keeping the Fire TV Stick. There just wasn't enough content for us to justify the extra $ over the Fire TV Stick. Most of the content that would interest us required a cable TV subscription anyway, so the Roku did not bring us any or much closer to being able to disconnect our cable subscription.

Thanks
0 Kudos
tsaker
Level 7

I had pretty much the same issue and resolved it by replacing my HDMI cables with newer 4K/HDMR campatible cables.
0 Kudos