Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SoManySevens
Level 8

Roku HD Makes high-pitched noise

I bought a Roku HD recently, and since set up it has made a high-pitched whining noise whenever it is on. The noise is through the television, not from the device itself or its remote. It stops whenever I'm watching media. It has also starting dropping the picture for a fraction of a second while scrolling through Netflix or YouTube. Haven't been able to find any help with this yet.

0 Kudos
45 Replies
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Re: Roku HD Makes high-pitched noise

Thanks for reaching out.

Have you tried changing out the HDMI cable you are using, or connecting the device to a different HDMI port to see if the issue is resolved?

You might also plug the device into a different TV to see if the same issue occurs.

Please keep us posted from there and we'll continue assisting you.

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos
SoManySevens
Level 8

A different HDMI cable made no difference, neither did trying the different ports on the TV. I don't have another set to try the Roku on in the house.

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Thanks for replying.

Try using a different power adapter to power the device. Plug the USB cable into a different power brick, or USB port to power the device. Does this change the behavior you are experiencing? 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
SoManySevens
Level 8

I have tried both of those, neither made any difference.

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Thanks for confirming. What is the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About?

How are you powering the device? Have you tried changing out the USB cable you are using to plug it into power? We haven't heard this issue reported by other customers, so more information and details will help us better understand what you're seeing.

You might also try exchanging the unit with the retailer you purchased it from if you are within the exchange/return period, to see if the same issue occurs. Please keep us posted from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
SoManySevens
Level 8

The serial number is X00400N42M48

I've had the device plugged into the tv's USB port and to a wall adapter, it made no difference.

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

@SoManySevens Thanks for the information here. I'll have a member of our support team reach out directly to get a warranty replacement on the way and assist you further. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@SoManySevens wrote:

I bought a Roku HD recently, 

Just so we all know, what model Roku do you have? Roku used the name HD on a handful of different players, and they are all quite old. None of the current players use that name. You can find the model number under the Settings/System/About menu.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
SoManySevens
Level 8

Model # 3932RD

I bought it at Dollar General, if that helps at all.

0 Kudos