Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
et
Level 7

Re: Roku HD Makes high-pitched noise

I am having the same problem with my Roku Express.  The high pitched noise comes from the sound bar, not the remote.  It disappears when I am in Netflix, but resumes when I am at the Roku home screen.  Ive tried swapping out power sources and HDMI inputs.  Nothing helps.  Defective unit?

0 Kudos
TarikB
Level 8

I’m having the same issues with a Roku premiere.... literally just bought it less than 24 hours ago... is there a reason this problem seems so widespread??

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@et @TarikB 

Thanks for the note.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Scottybuddy
Level 7

I believe I found a fix. I just recently bought a roku express and had the same issue. My 39" toshiba that is at least 6 years old has an audio setting called stable sound that might be called something different on different brands but it is supposed to balance the sound between commercials and tv programs. It works well for its intended purpose but when I turned it off it seems to have fixed it. Hope this helps support and anyone else with the same problem. 

TheSandPointZoo
Level 7

I'm having the same problem too, it was intermittent (high pitch sound wouldn't kick in for 30 minutes to a few hours), I thought I could deal with it, now the high pitch sound is there all the time. I purchased this about 5 months ago. I've tried everything mentioned, using a different power source, different hdmi input on another TV, the chromecast works fine in all of the same hdmi inputs I tested, the Roku does not. Are you guys going to be doing a recall because this seems like a common problem. S/N: 2139d2970020 Model: 3810X

0 Kudos
mcweasel
Level 7

Thanks for this! My new Roku had the same issue with a weird noise via the TV when on menu etc so I checked the TV settings, changed 'sound' (scrolling sound options) and the buzzing stopped.

0 Kudos
GGahagan
Level 7

Hi there, our Roku box is doing exactly the same thing.  We have had it for over a year so returning it is not possible. I just thought I'd let you know, since you said there haven't been any other complaints. 

0 Kudos
DanPorter
Level 7

Hi, I just picked up a Roku express today from Tesco (in the UK). When I set it up, the noise started from the TV as soon as the latest update had been installed. The version is 9.3.0 Build 4170, the serial number is S010301RXTXN.

As with others, changing the HDMI port, cable or power supply has no effect. I also tried changing the TV sound settings as has been suggested, but this also had no effect.

Is it worth replacing it or will the same thing happen from another unit?

0 Kudos
Crazydogs
Level 7

I have started having the problem too.  Haven’t changed any settings it just started today.  Tried my Amazon Fire stick and no problem with that.  I bought the Roku+ from Amazon

stream_it_to_me
Level 7

I had the same high-pitched whine with my brand new Roku Express (purchased Oct. 2020).  I tried switching power source (USB, wall plug, TV) and switching HDMI ports on TV: no effect. I tried changing the Roku's Setting-->Audio options (Stereo, HDMI, menu sound, etc.): no effect. 

Finally, I changed the Audio settings on my LG HDTV (model 32LD350-UB).  I turned off "Clear Voice II". As soon as I clicked "Off" for that setting, the high-pitched whine stopped!

I've only been using it for less than 1/2 hour since changing that setting, but it seems to have cured the issue.

Hopefully, this information helps Roku resolve this problem once and for all -- also, I'd like to be able to turn on "Clear Voice II" again.