Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nimeshgandhi
Level 7

Roku HD 4k gets hot every few minutes

My Roku HD 4k device gets hot every now and then and gives the warning to run cooler or shut down the device. 

This has been happening for last 2-3 months and initially I thought its coz of hot weather but its the same with winter coming in. I do not have any other device next to Roku which may effect the temperature for Roku device to get heated up.

Can someone from Roku help on this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Roku HD 4k gets hot every few minutes

@nimeshgandhi wrote:

My Roku HD 4k device gets hot every now and then and gives the warning to run cooler or shut down the device. 

This has been happening for last 2-3 months and initially I thought its coz of hot weather but its the same with winter coming in. I do not have any other device next to Roku which may effect the temperature for Roku device to get heated up.

Can someone from Roku help on this?

Please confirm what model Roku you have. You can find the model number in the Settings/System/About menu. There was a player labeled HD many years ago, but it's no longer supported and was not 4K capable. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
nimeshgandhi
Level 7

Re: Roku HD 4k gets hot every few minutes

The Model Number is 4400X - Roku4.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Roku 4 gets hot every few minutes

@nimeshgandhi wrote:

The Model Number is 4400X - Roku4.

The Roku 4 is the only player with an internal fan. Ensure the cooling holes are not blocked, and see if you can hear the fan running inside. I could never hear the fan in mine unless I put my ear right at a port, but some people have said theirs was quite noticeable. But if the fan has failed, that could cause overheating. Unfortunately, the Roku 4 is too old to still be under warranty. But since it doesn't support 4K-HDR, you might consider upgrading it anyway. It's fine for a non-4K TV, but if your TV supports 4K and HDR, you might find an upgrade to be worthwhile. HDR can make a huge difference in how the picture looks. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos