Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Goes Back to Home Screen After Hitting Any Button

Randomly, when I hit any button on the Roku remote, it goes back to the home screen. I'll be clicking through an app to search for a show and I might click down and then it makes the selection sound and goes back to the home screen. This happens 5x+ in any given day. I'd exchange it for a different one at the store, but we're all trying to stay inside right now. (note, even hitting the volume button makes this happen some times.)

I've tried resetting it but I haven't had any luck with the problem going away. 

I don't know if this is related but it also frequently loses the ability to control the sound on the tv. Once I take the batteries out and put them back in, it can control the volume again. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Roku Goes Back to Home Screen After Hitting Any Button

It does sound like a defective remote. Unfortunately, it happens sometimes. Since you have a Stick, you can't use an IR remote. So you have to have a functional Roku remote. 

It does need exchanging, but Roku might be able to help you out via mail. Send a PM to @RokuTannerD and see what he can do. In the meantime, if you have a smart phone or tablet (Android or iOS) you can use the Roku app and control your Stick that way. I don't think you'll have volume control, but at least you can control the Roku.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

@atc98092 wrote:

It does sound like a defective remote. Unfortunately, it happens sometimes. Since you have a Stick, you can't use an IR remote. So you have to have a functional Roku remote. 

It does need exchanging, but Roku might be able to help you out via mail. Send a PM to @RokuTannerD and see what he can do. In the meantime, if you have a smart phone or tablet (Android or iOS) you can use the Roku app and control your Stick that way. I don't think you'll have volume control, but at least you can control the Roku.

Wow! Thank you for your quick reply. Do you work with/for Roku or are you an angel sent down from heaven? I've never had a response in any bug forum answered so quickly. @atc98092 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@shoutoutlori wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

Wow! Thank you for your quick reply. Do you work with/for Roku or are you an angel sent down from heaven? I've never had a response in any bug forum answered so quickly. @atc98092 

Nah, I'm just another user like yourself. Just been using Roku devices for a while and have some understanding of what generally might work. Smiley Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@shoutoutlori  Thanks for reaching out! I'll follow up directly to assist you further. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

My problem is slightly different with the Roku.  Originally I even bought a new remote think the returning to home screen was a remote issue.  When that didn't work I purchased a new stick, but that wouldn't work on my older tv, so I ended up returning the stick.  Got the remote to work with some issues as to moving around the home screen.  However, the issue remains that approximately every 30 minutes the tv returns to the roku home screen when we are watching regular tv, with our you tube tv.  Have checked everything that may have contain a timer, but there's nothing!  Have reset, restarted, unplugged, etc.  but nothing solves this issue.  extremely frustrating.

Our other tv with roku equipment has no issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@cmkeaton wrote:

My problem is slightly different with the Roku.  Originally I even bought a new remote think the returning to home screen was a remote issue.  When that didn't work I purchased a new stick, but that wouldn't work on my older tv, so I ended up returning the stick.  Got the remote to work with some issues as to moving around the home screen.  However, the issue remains that approximately every 30 minutes the tv returns to the roku home screen when we are watching regular tv, with our you tube tv.  Have checked everything that may have contain a timer, but there's nothing!  Have reset, restarted, unplugged, etc.  but nothing solves this issue.  extremely frustrating.

Our other tv with roku equipment has no issues.

What model Roku do you have? Model number, not name. Since you mention it's connected to a older TV and the Stick wasn't compatible, that indicates your TV has no HDMI ports. Unless you've purchased a recent Express+ (3710 or 3910) with analog outputs, your current Roku is likely a much older model. Honestly, it just may be failing. 

Dan
0 Kudos