Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ParaO
Level 7

Roku Express

Just bought a Roku Express and have it powered by my TV usb.

I always switch off my TV at the mains and next day when tv is powered back up the Roku beeps every 5 or so seconds for about 5 minutes.

Does anyone know how I can disable this beeping, or am I stuck with it unless I leave my TV on standby?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Roku Express

"ParaO" wrote:
Just bought a Roku Express and have it powered by my TV usb.  

I always switch off my TV at the mains and next day when tv is powered back up the Roku beeps every 5 or so seconds for about 5 minutes.

Does anyone know how I can disable this beeping, or am I stuck with it unless I leave my TV on standby?

You know there's a third option: using the included power supply instead.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
ParaO
Level 7

There is obviously a reason for using the USB.....

I have the TV Wall mounted therefore power supply isn't an option!
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"ParaO" wrote:
There is obviously a reason for using the USB.....

And there's obviously a reason for the included power supply.
"ParaO" wrote:
I have the TV Wall mounted therefore power supply isn't an option!

If there's not another AC power outlet (besides the one that's powering the TV itself), then you don't have much of an option.

I've never had an issue when I've experienced others using the USB of a TV to power. What you're describing is unusual.

To troubleshoot, you can try running an extension cord and using the power supply and see if the issue continues. After powering the TV off, remove power from the Roku. Turn the TV back on then restore power (using the power supply) to the Roku. If the beeps still happen, there could be an issue with the Roku.

If the beeping does not happen, the power from the TV might not be sufficient to work properly (keeping in mind that it's not necessarily binary; it could sorta work, and that may be what's happening).
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos