Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lynellingram
Level 7

Re: Roku Express stops displaying; have to unplug HDMI

It is directly to the TV, my apologies for not being clear.  I unplugged one HDMI device (Blueray player) in order to use the cable running to the TV to plug in the Roku.  

0 Kudos
Cmc2
Level 7

It is plugged into a wall outlet.  I have tried changing the HDMI.  Nothing is working.  If I pause it for too long, it goes to a black screen.  I try to press any of the buttons and nothing works.  I have to keep unplugging it from the wall outlet to get it to come back on and show a picture.  I have to keep unplugging it sometimes 6 times before it will come back on.  Usually after waiting 5 minutes or more.  I used to be able to switch from watching my tv regularly to switching it to the Roku after days with no problem.  Now it is a black screen and none of the buttons on the Roku remote wake it back up.  I have to unplug it.  Wait 5 minutes or more and keep unplugging/plugging it back in until it works.  I am beyond frustrated at this point.  I have changed nothing for it to start doing this all of a sudden.  

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Cmc2 @lynellingram 

Have you tried plugging your device to another TV to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

If you have switched out the HDMI cord and tried using another TV and are still experiencing the issue, I'd be happy to take a closer look into the issue for you. 

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
tromba
Level 7

I have the same problem. I went from a Roku 3 to a new Express, probably only a couple of weeks old. I'm ready to dump it and go back to the 3 even though the Express is considerably faster. But having to go unplug it and plug it back in every time is simply not worth it.

I'm using the new HDMI cable that came with it.

We've tried 2 different HDMI inputs on the TV

I don't see any sense it trying a different TV unless you are telling me that even though the Roku 3 has worked there for years the Express might not be working.

0 Kudos
tromba
Level 7

I've had this Roku Express + about three weeks. Anyone know who I contact to send it back for a refund?

0 Kudos
Donwarner
Level 7

Why do i have to unplug my hdmi cable and plug it back in to get my roku to play sound when going to commercials and again when it goes back to the program

0 Kudos
tromba
Level 7

I decided to get rid of the thing. Wish I'd bought it at Amazon for an easy return and a 1 star review....

0 Kudos
gennaro
Level 7

Yes I have tried 3 different cable even a $30.00 high def heavy duty Cable still the same Walmart will not take it they said if activates can’t take it back I’m going to buy another and put it in the box Wtf so frustrating 

0 Kudos
507dood
Level 7

I have the same issue but instead of a black screen I get static. I’ve tried the other HDMI port and I’ve tried a different hdmi cable. 

0 Kudos