Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sjk985
Level 7

Roku Express stops displaying; have to unplug HDMI

I have a new Roku Express, only a few weeks old. When I first turn on the TV to watch something on the Roku, it does not show the screensaver, only a blank screen. It does not respond to the remote (and I know the remote signal is working because the light on the Roku blinks). The only way I can get it to work is by unplugging the HDMI cable from the Roku and plugging it back in. Then I can see the screensaver and everything works normally from there. But something obviously isn't working right, and I don't want to have to fiddle with the HDMI cable every time I want to watch something. How can I fix this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku Express stops displaying; have to unplug HDMI

Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable, and/or connecting your device to a different HDMI port on the TV? 

Let us know if that helps! 

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
sjk985
Level 7

I have tried that, unfortunately it didn't make a difference.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
drgarner
Level 7

I have exactly the same problem with the Roku Ultra! I recently replaced a Roku 3 with a Roku Ultra. Ever since the change the HDMI does not work (sometimes) when the TV is powered on. Nothing else was changed - same TV and same HDMI cable. This problem never happened with the Roku 3. It only started this problem since upgrading to the Ultra to get the new remote. I have tried another HDMI cable and another HDMI input. Please Help!
0 Kudos
sjk985
Level 7

"RokuTannerD" wrote:
Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable, and/or connecting your device to a different HDMI port on the TV? 

Let us know if that helps! 

Cheers,
Tanner

Any other ideas? I tried this and I'm still having the same issue.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Cmc2
Level 7

I have recently started having the same problem.  Sometimes, I have to unplug it several times before I can get it to show on my tv screen again.  Has anyone figured out a fix to this problem?  This is really annoying and shouldn't be happening considering my roku is only a couple months old.  I am extremely frustrated.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
lynellingram
Level 7

The roku doesn't seem to want to work after it's been idle for any amount of time.  The white power light is on, but the TV screen is blank and says there's no input.  I can get it to work again by unplugging the HDMI cable, (sometimes both HDMI and power chord) and plugging them back in. Then it starts up and works like it's supposed to.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Cmc2 @lynellingram 

Thanks for the inquiry.

How are you powering your device? Is it plugged into the TV USB port or through a wall outlet? Have you also tried a different HDMI port on the TV, or switching out the HDMI cable to see if that resolves the issue.

Please keep us posted and we will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
lynellingram
Level 7

Hi Danny - I have the power for the unit plugged into a wall outlet.  I have a weird set up in terms of the HDMI cable.  This is at my parents' house and they had several years ago built-in their television set to the wall so the ports on it are not accessible.  So the only way I could plug the Roku into their TV was to unplug an existing Bluray player and use it's HDMI hook up to the tv.  So I probably won't be able to try a different HDMI cable, and that complicates things.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@lynellingram 

Thanks for the update.

I would recommend trying to plug the Roku device directly to the TV to see if that resolves your issue as that could possibly be why you are experiencing what you are seeing.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos